Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We they leave the Superrrr  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
We they leave the Superrrr
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:22:46 am »
Hi guys I put four clearer boards on some hives so I could have an easier time removing the Supers x 4. I put them on four days ago and they still contain several thousand bee's in a couple and a few hundred in the others.
I took the Supers off Bee's included and have them about 100 metres from my hives,on my trailer.

Question: Will the girls vacate the the Supers by themselves as it is mid afternoon here, and leave the supers relatively Bee free by tonight..............or will they just bed down for the night and be there in the morning??????

Cheers
Steve

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: We they leave the Superrrr
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 04:51:41 am »
Steve,
It depends on if they are nurse bees or field bees. Nurse bees will stay and protect the comb. Field bees will go back to the hive.
There is a really good chance that you will have a massive robbing of these frames in the morning if you do not have a good flow on.
I recommend you get Bee Quick and make a fume board to remove the bees in the future . I would put the Supers back on a hive and the fume board will move them down. One reason the bees did not leave would bee if there is brood in the Supers. Very hard to make them abandon brood.
You can also take the frames back to the hives one at a time and shake the bees off of the frames right in front of the hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 04:59:39 am »
Hi Jim, nope no brood as I use excluders  they seems to be thinning out as its near dusk here. I will wait until after dark and see. If there Bee free I will put them in the shed tonight.
I have thought about that Bee Quick stuff Mmmmmm not sure we have it here but to be honest I haven't looked that hard.

I just had a look and there numbers have reduced dramatically.

Thanks Steve

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 05:26:15 am »
Glad it is working out for you.
Bee Quick works fast. Takes about 5 to 7 minutes per super. There are several different companies that make it now. Just bee sure to get the ones that smells like almonds and not the ones that smell like puke.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:11 pm »
Well Jim,thanks for planting the seed about the Brood, and yep when I started going through the busiest Super I found Brood!! I simply added it to a struggling Nuc
Thanks mate I owe you a Beer!

Cheers
Steve

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:03 pm »
No problem. 
I'm heading your way to collect.  :grin:
Better yet see you at Beefest 2018.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:46:13 pm »
Haha welllllll I have seriously thought about Beefest.......it would be an awesome thing to attend and I dare say I'd meet some characters.
Mmmmm you planted another seed.

Cheers
Steve

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:49 pm »
See you in the spring, our spring that is.  :cheesy:
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:26:27 am »
and yep when I started going through the busiest Super I found Brood!!

So, is the excluder working but in the opposite direction to what you hoped?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything