Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there a way to get several queens from one hive?  (Read 5041 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Is there a way to get several queens from one hive?
« on: July 07, 2005, 01:44:09 am »
Just a curiosity question...how does those commerical beekeepers create so many queens to sell? How can he replace what he needs and still sell other queens?  I know I prolly need to read up on this, but I thought I would ask you all...   :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Is there a way to get several queens from one hive?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:31:02 am »
Quote from: AdmiralD
Just a curiosity question...how does those commerical beekeepers create so many queens to sell?

With a strong cell builder you can 20+ a week each.   Creating the queens is not the issue,  having a mating yards big enough is where the expense is.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:40:54 pm »
Queen rearing is all about maximizing the number of queens you can get for the least amount of resources.  You use a cell builder to make the cells and put them in mating nucs to mate.  So, as mentioned, one cell builder will make 20 queens or so and you put these each in it's own mating nuc.

Search on queenrearing on the net you'll find many descriptions of various methods of accomplishing it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
queen rearing
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 10:28:32 pm »
where could one find either a 1. good explanation for the easiest method of queen rearing for beginners, or; 2. someone local to midlands of Sc who could show me!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 12:11:36 pm »
>where could one find either a 1. good explanation for the easiest method of queen rearing for beginners

The esiest is just to remove the queen from a small hive with wax foundation in it and 10 or 11 days later cut the cells out and put them in the hives you want to requeen after dequeening them.

There are many books on methods.  Here is as good a method as any:

http://www.ohioqueenbreeders.com/queen_rearing.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jon McFadden

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 12:56:15 pm »
The Bee Works has the best instructional videos I have seen in many years.
Their video "Queen Rearing" covers all aspects. It describes equipemnt available, queen marking methods, making nucs, no graft queen rearing, nicot system, and grafting. It is available in VHS and DVD formats for $25.
http://www.beeworks.com/uscatalog/details/queen_rearVID.asp
I used their video "The Nicot System Demonstrated" to develop my timeline.
The "Queen Rearing" video uses the same video that the "Nicot System Demonstrated" uses, so there is no need to purchase both.
http://www.beeworks.com/uscatalog/details/nicotvideo.asp

These are the steps I used for using the Nicot System:
http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6
Jon, N6VC/5