Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Future 2017 Beekeper from Iowa  (Read 1869 times)

Offline ShilohHoney

• Brood
Future 2017 Beekeper from Iowa
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:46:01 pm »
I first heard about keeping bees from my aunt 7 years ago. My husband and I passed on the idea because we thought he was allergic to bees.  We have since found out otherwise and I have renewed my interest. I hope to start next spring with 3 hives. I have so far....ordered 3 deep supers and 6 medium supers along with the top covers, inner covers, screened bottom boards and various other basic tools. I have read A LOT and watched plenty of YouTube videos. Right now I have a mix of wax and Plasticell foundations but I am interested in the foundationless or "top bar" idea within a langstroth Hive.
Proverbs 24:13
My son, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Future 2017 Beekeper from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  You'll find a lot of good information here and people ready and able to help.  Ask lots of questions and read through as much of the past postings as you can.  Read the great stuff on Michael Bush's website (he has a link to his site at the bottom of every posting on the forum).
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:00:29 pm »
Welcome o Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:12:39 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   Lots of very friendly and knowledgeable folks here.   You're going to have a lot of fun next year.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline ShilohHoney

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:18:47 pm »
I am starting my bees in deep supers with foundation, but then my medium supers are foundationless(wedge frames with slats nailed sideways). Will this work or do I have to start with drawn comb checker boarded to add in these types of frames?
I have read a lot of books, online articles, and watched a lot of YouTube videos (my husband thinks he may have lost me to my books and videos) and have kind of come up with some ideas that "sound" like they would work. I find I do tend to lean towards Michael Bush's ideas. I love the idea of trusting the bees to know how to build their comb, but the stories of comb gone wrong scare me for the first year.
Proverbs 24:13
My son, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 03:52:54 pm »
Welcome, I use wooden frames with wax coated plastic foundation so I'm of no help to you with your question.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 04:22:17 pm »
Welcome.   :happy: 

I am starting my bees in deep supers with foundation, but then my medium supers are foundationless(wedge frames with slats nailed sideways). Will this work or do I have to start with drawn comb checker boarded to add in these types of frames?

I would get some foundation to put in a few of your medium frames to use as a guide for the bees.  If you add an empty box with foundationless frames, you will never know what you will get.  Once you get some drawn comb, you can add empty frames between them to get them to draw them out straight.

anything