Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wannabe Newbie from Texas  (Read 8084 times)

Offline Beth in the Woods

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
Wannabe Newbie from Texas
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:24 pm »
Hi,

I live in the woods in Southeast Texas.

My husband and i are planning to start raising bees but haven't gotten there yet.  One of your members recommended this forum in another one, and since i hadn't seen this one yet, i came on over.  I'm very excited about having a resource like this for beekeeping, especially since i totally don't know even where to start.

O.k., i do know that i have to start with a hive and some bees.  That's about all i know.  But i'm very excited about getting started.

That's all.

My name is Beth.   I live in the woods.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Re: Wannabe Newbie from Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:28:43 pm »
Hi Beth! I'm another newbee living in woods outside Cincinnati. Welcome. I started getting interested in bees about this time last year, as a foodie that thought (incorrectly) that I could get organic honey from my own bees. Still and all, fascinating hobby.

What got you interested in bees?

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:41:11 pm »
Hi Beth! I'm another newbee living in woods outside Cincinnati. Welcome. I started getting interested in bees about this time last year, as a foodie that thought (incorrectly) that I could get organic honey from my own bees. Still and all, fascinating hobby.

What got you interested in bees?

Hi!  Thanks!

My hubby and i bought a small piece of land a couple of years ago and started pursuing a more ss lifestyle, little by little.  Besides that everyone should raise bees just for the betterment of our crops, etc., having fresh local honey for our own use and to trade or sell, just fits in really well with our goals.

So far, we are raising chickens and rabbits and a very modest garden, but we have bigger dreams and are taking it little by little.  Next is a milk goat, a bigger garden, and bees - not necessarily in that order.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:00:54 pm »
Hi Beth, I am from Georgia and I live in a house.   :-D
I am working my way up to the milk goat also.  I have the fence in, just waiting for the right one. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »
Here are some local Associations for Texas

ALAMO AREA BKPRS ASSOC
Ron Schmidt
Phone: 830-625-4997  AlamoBeekeepers@yahoo.com
E-Mail: AlamoBeekeepers@yahoo.com

CENTRAL TEXAS BKPRS ASSOC
Michael Kelling
1997 Tonckawa Hills La
Brenham, TX 77833
Phone: 979-277-0411

H.O.T. BKPRS ASSOC (Waco, Tx area)
P.O. Box 211
Hewitt, Texas 76643
Gary Bowles (treasurer)
PH 214 232 9858
TexasGary@peoplepc.com

METRO BKPRS ASSOC
Terry Botkin - President
214-837-7256
http://www.metrobeekeepers.net

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:22:10 pm »
AllenF, very funny.   ;)

Jim, thank you for the list.  I am actually closer to one that meets in Huntsville.  I have been on their email list for a little while now, but i think that we are going to attend their meeting this month.  I'm very excited.

Do individuals ever sell bees to other locals?  That's kind of what we're hoping for since we're too late to get bees from the nearest professional aviary.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
My BF wants a goat and I am a gardener avoiding the goat. This post from the best of Craigslist helps:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/ral/1097611112.html

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »
 :lau:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:35 pm »
That's a good one.

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:36:12 pm »

That's why we have to build a good fence before we get a goat.  Funny ad.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:15 am »
That ad was hysterical and I think those people should write a book.

I truly hope they can find someone to take those animals.

Anyway, welcome Beth to the bee forum. I looked at your website a bit and you seem like a very interesting person. I think you will enjoy being a member of this forum.

I live in Placerville California out in the country on 3 acres. I have my beehives up the block from me on a 20 acre parcel (at a yoga/meditation school). I started beekeeping April 2006 and it has been unbelievable.  I have learned so so much from being on this forum and most of my problems with the bees have been solved here.

It is truly a challenging hobby, but now that I have learned so much, it seems to be easier for me. This year has been my most exciting year as I have caught a few swarms, did a cutout in an old oak tree and have been teaching beekeeping to the 4H club of Placerville. So many members of the 4H club are now interested in starting their own hives. I have made many beekeeping friends in my area as well which has been truly wonderful for me, as I have basically been on my own for several years with the bees.

Take care
Annette

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:59:15 am »
What a lovely welcome message!  Thank you.

And thank you for checking out my website.  ;)  Interesting.  Sure, some people think i'm "interesting."  haha!

I'm intimidated but excited to get to learning hands-on about bees - and improving our gardening at the same time.  The local beekeepers meeting is a week from today, and think we're both ready to make the drive and start learning all we can and making local connections.  Although, i'll have to start reminding my husband TODAY and every day in between now and then.  He's excited about beekeeping; he just isn't excited about making the drive after work on a Thursday night.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll be able to learn a lot about bees & beekeeping here. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page.

Glad to read that you're going to a club meeting. Clubs are great for finding mentors and getting connected to nearby beekeepers.

Don't forget to check your local library for books and videos about beekeeping.

Lastly, Michael Bush, a beekeeper in Nebraska, has one of the best beekeeping sites on the web:
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:55:19 pm »
Thanks, indy, i'll check it out!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »
Welcome from Texas I am just north of you.  You will have alot of fun here enjoy.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »
Welcome from Texas I am just north of you.  You will have alot of fun here enjoy.

Howdy neighbor!

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 07:32:25 pm »
Howdy, a little late. What part of Southeast Texas y'all live in? I might could hook you and your husband up with some bees.

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »
Hi vmmartin,

We are west of you in Coldspring, San Jacinto County, near Lake Livingston.  I drove with a friend to Kountze several months ago to get a rooster.  So i know just where you are.  =)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »
I have played golf in Coldspring. I forget the name of the course, but it was right on the lake. Did you ever get any bees? If not, y'all let me know next time your coming this way and we will work something out.

• New Bee
    • Humble Ambitions
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 10:22:33 pm »
vmmartin,  i sent you a pm.   :)

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 07:44:32 am »
howdy neighbor..

beth in the woods writes:
Do individuals ever sell bees to other locals?  That's kind of what we're hoping for since we're too late to get bees from the nearest professional aviary.

tecumseh:
well you ain't that far from any number of professional and sideline beekeepers that do sell packages, nucs or entire hives.  you just need to choose.

if you are new to beekeeping the Central Texas Beekeeping Association in Brenham has a beekeeping school in the spring (late march early april).  we do a hands on bee school with a pot luck for lunch.  any number of folks have informed me it gave them enough confidence to give beekeeping a go. 
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:20:34 am »
The was almost good enough to re-register as "Mr Marbles" but I think not. My wife has been toying with the idea of goats, and I've been distracting her with other offers to do other projects. (wood burning oven may be in the works here.)
Other members have seen me post about getting my first bees before (apologies to them) -to make a long story short - I was about to travel halfway across the state, and wound up finding someone about 10 miles up the road. - I guess it just depends on how long you're ok with having a phone next to your ear.
be happy and make others happy.