Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee from Illinois  (Read 8340 times)

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
Newbee from Illinois
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:18:22 pm »
I have been thinking about keeping bees for years.   I finally own property where keeping bees is not going to disturb anyone, especially my wife.   I haven't purchased anything other than a book called "Keeping Bees" by John Vivian.    The book is great, but it is only one book.   This forum seems like a great resource for someone looking to find information.

Living in Illinois, we are still below freezing every day.     I  know I am getting close to the time of year when I should be getting started, but I don't know anybody local who can help me out.     I know a little about beekeeping from former neighbors who shared their knowledge when I was a kid several decades gone by.     I am looking for resources for just about everything.

I am located just Southwest of Illinois, near Joliet.   

I haven't looked over the forum in much detail, but the little I have read so far got me interested to sign up.

Thanks to all the contributors in advance

Gary

aka
Garlydog

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Newbee from Illinois
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:51:01 pm »
Welcome, Gary, you'll learn lots here!

Here are three links to get you started keeping bees in Illinois:

The Illinois Bees and Apiaries Program

Illinois Beekeepers' Directory

Heart of Illinois Beekeeping Association

Hopefully there's somebody nearby who can help you out locally, but remember, there's lots of help here.

Enjoy!  :)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »
Hi Gary!
 You're gonna bee amazed how much info. you will get from this forum! Theres links to videos people will post here.They show you how to do things like how to handle package bees and catching swarms and,....well, all kinds of stuff!
 The people here are nice too! And the info is alot cheaper than buying books! (Allthough I like books because you can read them till you can fall asleep...But the cost of books has gone up soooo much in the last few years!!) Theres even voice chat( I dont have a micrphone yet), and sometimes a normal chat with bee experts in the rooms to answer questions!
 I wish I knew of this place before I got my bees! I sure could have used the info!(That was only last spring)
Anyways, have fun here and ask alot of questions!
And welcome to the forums!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:52:56 am »
Welcome aboard Gary! I have friends who make it up your way every hunting season to take a crack at the huge whitetails ya'll have running around. They strictly bowhunt. They always seem to have great stories. Yes you will like it here, learn about bees and other things, and make new friends along the way. Here is a link to the now infamous package installation by none other than our very own beemaster, Mr. John Clayton. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4a-Tw-qFI

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19:47 am »
You should have ordered package bees about a month and a half ago.  I'd plan on tracking some down ASAP. Otherwise you'll be looking at next year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:45:33 am »
You should have ordered package bees about a month and a half ago.  I'd plan on tracking some down ASAP. Otherwise you'll be looking at next year.
Oh, I don't know about that, we're just doing our club order now, we do it at this time every year.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:19:38 am »
Gary, welcome to our forum, yep, you have found THE place.  This is a place where you can lean on us to help you with answers to any questions that your heart desires.  Seriously.  We have members that have kept bees most of the lives, all the way to the ones that have just begun to think about keeping bees.  It is a great place to learn.  Tell us of your experiences when you get the bees, and you know you will be getting them, you probably have already been put under the spell of the honeybee, hee, hee, smiling....I know we all have and we are totally addicted to this wonderful and beautiful place among the bees.  Welcome and most of all, have a wonderful and awesome day, we all be lovin' this life we live. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:06:51 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for the warm welcome.     I guess I better get busy.        Anyone have any suggestions for where to order bees?

I have some experience with the stacked boxes type hives, but I was thinking of trying something different.    

I have been thinking about building a top bar hive.    I found plans at §¤«£¿æ.com

This type of hive seems more in line with my goals: comb honey, lower honey production, higher wax production and less heavy lifting.    

My main motivation for this route is that I have all the scrap lumber in my garage to build two hives without spending any money.   This an attractive alternative.

Any thoughts or suggestions on best practices for top bar hives?

Gary    
Garlydog

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for the warm welcome.     I guess I better get busy.        Anyone have any suggestions for where to order bees?
Start by getting in contact with local beekeepers. Find out where the locals are getting their bees. Check the links posted above by reinbeau, also:
http://www.isba.us/
I know of one place a bit south of you:
http://www.honeybeesonline.com/servlet/StoreFront

Any thoughts or suggestions on best practices for top bar hives?
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

http://www.bwrangler.com/bee/ttbh.htm

Offline beesbeesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:42 am »
Anyone have any suggestions for where to order bees?

I'm south of Springfield, IL.  I buy my bees from Kelley beekeeping supply.  This year's batch will ship April 12th but you cold get them later.  If you are not interested in an Italian or Russian queen you could requeen with whatever you want from another supplier later.  But Kelley is only one of many options.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:21:30 am »
Beesbeesbees.  I missed your first posts, you are a new member and welcome to our forum.  Nice to have another person coming here, it is the best place to share stories, ask questions, telling others about ourselves, you have already found that out.

And yes, in response to something you said, of course, of course.......there is lots of room for you here, you are welcomed with open arms.  Ask your questions, respond to questions, you can help us as we can help you.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, love our life we live, groove on this life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beesbeesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:35 pm »
Thanks Cindi.

I misspoke earlier.  MY bees will ship on April 12.  Kelley sets their own schedule.  I have no idea what it is but given an array of options I selected an April 12th shipment.  Sorry.

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:57 pm »
Thanks for all the tips.   I ordered some bees from one of the suggested nearby sources. 

They should arrive the first week of May.  :-D

The seller explained the process of informing the post office and picking them up.     That will be fun!

I am planning to get started on the hive in a day or so.    Now I have incentive!

Gary
Garlydog

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 11:12:08 pm »
I am almost finished with my Top Bar Hive.   

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:48:05 am by Robo »
Garlydog

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:06:29 am »
I am almost finished with my Top Bar Hive.   I tried to post a photo but was blocked.   How many posts do I need to make before I can post pictures?

Not sure what the cutoff is, try pming one of the mods like Ken or Dallas, that's buzzbee or pdmattox. They may be able to post your pics for you. The cutoff is to ensure that new members are legit, which you more than seem to be. Good to have you here.

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
Thank you.   One of the mods put the picture up for me.      I am in the process of weatherproofing the exterior.     

This week I need to pick the perfect spot in the yard.    We are blessed with a big yard so I have lots of choice.    I understand that morning sun is good, and shade in general is not.   Does this sound right?

Garlydog

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »
I think people like their hive entrances facing the east so the bees wake up earlier and start gathering nectars and pollens earlier I guess it wouldnt matter what way they face if the east(morning)sun is blocked by a tree or something..My hives face south, southwest, and southeast and have mostly mesquite and chinaberry trees all around them.....I thought this would be a good place cuz it gets so hot here.The mesquite are kinda ferny looking so they let a diffused light come through the trees to the hives.
 My bees seem to be doing fine. I bet Michael Bush has a special subject written about where to put hives. Michael Bush has got pretty much everything written about how to do bees. Unless you're planning on genetically altering your bees(hmmmm....he just might have something about that too!)
your friend,
john

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:09 pm »
Cindi:  You are so right.   I have been put under the spell of the bees.  I have bees on the brain.  I have watched just about every TBH video I could find on YouTube and otherwise.   

I am already starting to plan hive #2 so I can be ready if my swarm decides to split.     

I still have one more step on TBH #1.   I need to coat/dip the guide bars with bees wax.   

I also still need to pick out the perfect spot for my bee yard.      How much space is generally recommended between hives?    I will post a photo once the hive is placed.    My first TBH is the hanging variety.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:42:28 am by Robo »
Garlydog

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 09:55:54 am »
Garlydog.  Thanks for getting the pictures of your hives in here.  They are very cool, the colour is pretty neat too.  You are in for the time of your life, wait for that spell to be cast, you will see what I mean.  You ain't seen nuthin' yet, your friends, family, everyone is gonna think that you are possessed, hee, hee.  Have a most beautiful, awesomely great day, Cindi

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 11:02:39 am »
I have no idea what I am doing, but everything is going according to plan. :-D
Garlydog

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 11:04:54 am »
I realize that I don't really need to paint the inside, but I had the brush in my hand and extra paint.   I just think it looks nicer being one color...the same as our house.   Hopefully the bees won't mind.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:12:02 pm by GarlyDog »
Garlydog

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 10:14:07 pm »
I have no idea what I am doing, but everything is going according to plan. :-D

How would you know?  :-D

....JP

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »
That's what the voices are saying, but you bring up a good point.   How can I trust them? :?
Garlydog

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 11:17:30 pm »
Gary, you feel confident about stuff, that is good, keep up that attitude, life is good that way.  Beautiful and wonderfully awesome day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 12:04:52 am »
That's what the voices are saying, but you bring up a good point.   How can I trust them? :?

Just keep telling yourselves it'll work out, it'll all work out. That's what we do.  ;) :-D

....JP

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 08:43:19 am »
>I realize that I don't really need to paint the inside

Not only didn't NEED to, but it would be better not to...

As far as location:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin