Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: driping candles  (Read 1200 times)

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
driping candles
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:17:31 am »
Candle makers out there, I need your help.  I made pure beeswax candles and they dripped really badly.  Did I do something wrong.  I used a wick with zinc in it and a mold with a spiral.  They did not burn well at all.  The candles look great.

Any suggestions?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: driping candles
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:15:38 pm »
True bee's wax tapers are meant to be dipped not molded. Taper molds are meant for Parifane.  I use feed sack strings and weave them into a 3 or 4 string wick.  I then dip them into the pot of moulten wax.  The wicks are initially weighted with a split-shot sinker which is removed after about 6 dippings as the developing candle is then strong and rigid enough to not require the weight.  I made a rack out of J hooks and make 2 candles on each string by weighting both ends and holding the wick in the middle.  I get 2 nice 8-10 inch tapers. The rack can old up to 12 candles at a time and if the right sized pot is used the rack can also be used as a jig to dip all candles at the same time.

I must say it is fun to watch the candles take form and substance with each successive dipping in the wax.  Want colored or scented candles, add food dyes and/or essential oils.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: driping candles
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:10:55 am »
the problem is your wick -try #2 braided cotton-square- ;) RDY-B