Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen mating flight  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Queen mating flight
« on: May 18, 2019, 11:51:59 am »
For educational purposes, how long does it usually take for a virgin queen to return from a mating flight? I know this answer will vary but I?m just trying to get some verbals in mind.
Thanks Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Queen mating flight
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:57:13 am »
Curious about that myself. Do they always come back?

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 02:57:33 pm »
I don't have an answer on how long she will be out time-wise. I do know she will generally fly a mile, sometimes more.

From personal experience I can say they don't always return. Had it happen twice. They are large and fly slowly-perfect target for a bird or dragonfly.  :smile:
Neill

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 04:14:52 pm »
On a nice, calm day a queen will fly a mile in 5 minutes.  She can mate with 15 to 20 drones in 2 minutes.  A mile out and a mile back equals 10 minutes plus mating time.  A mile and a half is a total of 15 minutes plus 2 to mate, and that is what is probably most common in my area.  I would say the range here is 17 to 23 minutes total time.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:18:57 pm »
All your questions answered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy3qSx5wc7w

... little long but very worthwhile.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:25:03 pm »
On a nice, calm day a queen will fly a mile in 5 minutes.  She can mate with 15 to 20 drones in 2 minutes.  A mile out and a mile back equals 10 minutes plus mating time.  A mile and a half is a total of 15 minutes plus 2 to mate, and that is what is probably most common in my area.  I would say the range here is 17 to 23 minutes total time.

This is likely the best answer you will get.
By lawn chair observations and time-lapsed videos, they are not out long and certainly no longer than she has to be.

No, they definitely do not all come back. Play the numbers.  Have near twice as many queens setup for mating than you actually need.  If more return, well, I cannot ever recall when having extra queens has been a bad thing.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:43:53 am »
I have seen writings claiming 5 miles to get away from their sons.  Also 75% success on mating flights.  It has to be greater than 50 or the bees would have gone extinct.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 01:57:25 pm »
I would guess success rate for mating flight to be around  85% at  my location Quality will varey but most will be decent.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 02:29:04 pm »

This is likely the best answer you will get.
By lawn chair observations and time-lapsed videos, they are not out long and certainly no longer than she has to be.

No, they definitely do not all come back. Play the numbers.  Have near twice as many queens setup for mating than you actually need.  If more return, well, I cannot ever recall when having extra queens has been a bad thing.

Thanks AR, Also thanks  HoneyPump, Ed, Ace, Sean, herbhome, and Nock. I appreciate your replies. I am guessing I have had about 80 percent so far. That makes me happy.
Phillip ,

Correction
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:51:23 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything