Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small hive beetle  (Read 914 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Small hive beetle
« on: May 15, 2019, 05:22:57 pm »
I have a very sad, probably failing hive. It didn't do well through last summer and I doubted it would make it through the winter. I was surprised to see life when I looked in the spring and I started to feed them about a month ago. Went into the hive today to change the food bottle (I keep it on top of the inner cover inside an empty super) and noticed some small black beetles walking around. I captured one and looked at it with a magnifying glass and it doesn't seem to match the pictures of hive beetle I've googled up. No pom poms on the ends of the antennae and I don't see the crescent structure that I've read described. I wish I could take a picture of it but it's just too small for me to do that. Does this sound like hive beetle or not?

At any rate, I have very low hopes for the colony. Will be picking up a new nuc in about a week so if they somehow survive, it'll just be a bonus. But I don't want to spread beetles, if that's part of the problem.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Small hive beetle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:30:17 pm »
Doesn?t sound like SHBs, especially considering you are in  Canada. They cannot survive your winters outside of the hive.
You do not need a magnifying glass to see SHBs.
The pop poms are important to a SHB. That is what they use to trick the bees into feeding them when trapped in their hive cells/cage.
What does your brood look like. Is the wet larvae pearly white or is it yellow? Let us know and maybe we can help you save this hive. A picture of the larvae would help.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:42:46 pm »
I am such a wimp. I haven't looked into the hive so really don't know what's going on in there. The frames are so thoroughly propolised into place that when I tried to get a frame out it fell apart on me. I know I should have a deep dive into the box - may get someone to help me and see if I can get in there. They were treated for mites last summer but never did well at all. No honey. I had already decided that if they survived the winter I would re-queen but...since I didn't get into the box, I obviously am not requeening. This has been a poor colony since I first got them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:31 am »
Nyleve,
If your frames are falling apart, they are not properly glued. Nails alone in top and bottom will not hold them together. On the assembled frames, I recommend that you add a nail to the under side of the top bar to make them stronger.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything