Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees coming in and out from a corner of the hive box  (Read 1946 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
bees coming in and out from a corner of the hive box
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:47:50 pm »
Last year when I started beekeeping I did not assemble the hive box (deep 10-frame) very well and it is now separating a bit at the corners. It is currently at the bottom on the hive (it was at the top last year but at the beginning of spring I rotated the boxes). The bees are now coming in and out from the spaces in the corner of the box. Is that bad?

I plan to replace the box. Is it as simple as getting a new box and carefully move the frames from the "loose" box to the new sturdier one?

Thanks
R

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
Re: bees coming in and out from a corner of the hive box
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:27:55 pm »
If the bees don't care why should you. If they don't like it they will propolis it. You could caulk it or put tape over it or do nothing. The worst thing is rocking boxes. Every time you remove top box they have to reseal it again. Bees often live in trees or house floor joists. As long as the rain stays out the are content.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:50:03 pm »
If the box is not falling apart then whether you allow the bees to use the crack is up to you.  The easiest way to stop the bees is with a piece of tape. 

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:29:42 am »
As per the others.  The bees do not care what the box looks like.  If there are holes an cracks where they do not want, they will seal those off with propolis.
The only one of your team who cares about the box is you.  Yes, you can certainly swap them over into a fresh new box.  Very easy and not a problem.  Just ensure that after you have made up the new box that you let it air and season for at least a week before moving the bees in.  For reasons of off-gassing of glues, resins, paints, and stains.  Build the box.  Leave it out on the lawn or hottest part of your patio in the sun and the elements for a week.  Then go swap them into the new box.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:10:54 am »
thank you everybody. I am now reassured that it's OK for the bees to come out of the corner :)

I am minorly concerned about the box falling apart though especially now that it's at the bottom of the hive.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:26:17 pm »
The bees do not care what the box looks like.  If there are holes an cracks where they do not want, they will seal those off with propolis.
Cosmetics aside, what about moisture?We have had more than the typical amount of rain in my area this month. From the inside of the brood box at last inspection, the day after heavy rain, I noticed a little bit of mold growing and water absorbed into the wood at the front corner caused by a gap in the hive components at the top of the brood box. The box rim is slightly out of square - with a low spot on one corner. I may have contributed to the issue by not allowing water to drain out of the hive because I had the opening of the entrance reducer along the bottom of the brood box rather than at the top of the solid bottom board. The hive was installed with a slight pitch for drainage.

My concern is retaining unnecessary moisture in the winter, not an occasionally damp period in the other three seasons. Unlike the corner which would be filled with propolis once, the top seal will be reopened at every hive inspection.

Swapping the box and squaring this one off with a belt sander is a fast, easy, permanent fix. Tell me if good enough is good enough or if I should put in a little effort here to minimize mold and moisture for the useful life of this box. I am also thinking about drilling a few very small weep holes though the bottom of the bottom board.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:20:55 am by incognito »
Tom

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 01:42:51 am »
The responsibility of the beekeeper is to
1. - supply a sturdy home that provides shelter from wind, heat, moisture, cold.  Has to be functionally complete. Does not have to be pretty.
2. - place that home in a location that provides forage (food and water)
3. - monitor for pests and diseases. Control those pests and diseases so as to prevent them from spreading to detriment of the colony or spreading to neighbouring colonies.

In essence, provide for the necessities of life, foster good health, and prevent spread of diseases.

Based on the above mandatory requirements and looking at that ratty, rickety, moldy, drafty, crooked, leaky box you have in front of you .... what do YOU think you should do?
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:04 pm »
The equipment is new, just a little out of square and not rickety or rotten.
I've added pictures to my earlier post in case I made it sound worse than it is.
I have a tendency to be overly precise about things. That is my German upbringing. A bunch of posts here give me the impression to be more laissez faire regarding beekeeping. After all, how dry is a hollow tree?

I am still trying to reach that middle ground.
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 01:37:54 pm »
Incognito,
That will happen with time. You will see what works and doesn?t as you get more experience.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »
You can patch anything with Bondo. Literally hardens in minutes. Just don't do it while the bees are in the box. Give it a few days for the chemicals to dissipate and you're GTG
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 06:35:59 pm »
... Bondo...

LOL!
The attached 3 photos will give you guys a better perspective on the extent of the "problem".
That is a dollar bill folded twice - 4 pages thick.
Like I said, a belt sander and 5 seconds on each corner is all I need, if anything.

Tom

Offline Dadsbees

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 11:32:34 pm »
Being too picky if bees cant fit out they will just seal it shut.bees dont care about aesthetics

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 01:56:17 pm »
going back to my original post. I did swap the box this weekend and I am glad I did. The box was literally falling apart (this newbie had not nailed nor glued the boards together last year!). Because of the extra space, there was a bit of cross combs in between the frames. And it would have probably come apart soon. Anyway, they are in a new box and during the transfer I decided it was time to add the honey super. Most frames were filled!

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 03:06:19 pm »
Something that is faster and stronger if you wish to go that way.  Try decking screws and do not screw in straight, angle them for strength.  I( have use a bar or pipe clamp to pull the box back into shape and them used the deck screws, the bees get a little upset when the screw gun starts to torque the screws, this only takes about five minutes after you get the hang.  The bees are back to normal in 15 minutes or less. When the crack gets close squirt a little gorilla glue in crack, it expands, it is strong and is weather proof.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 08:48:13 pm »
Something that is faster and stronger if you wish to go that way.  Try decking screws and do not screw in straight, angle them for strength.  I( have use a bar or pipe clamp to pull the box back into shape and them used the deck screws, the bees get a little upset when the screw gun starts to torque the screws, this only takes about five minutes after you get the hang.  The bees are back to normal in 15 minutes or less. When the crack gets close squirt a little gorilla glue in crack, it expands, it is strong and is weather proof.

Very good thinking paus!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.