Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My best hive video 5/12  (Read 1446 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
My best hive video 5/12
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:42:37 pm »
This was a cutout from
Neighbors landscape hollow rock.
Sorry there?s no hotel California background or discussion-
I stole a brood frame from her and added a foundation frame.
She has loaded the top box (rubberbanded conb ) with honey.
When can I steal it?

https://youtu.be/XiK1u_H7-D0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:12:59 pm by saltybluegrass »
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My best hive video 5/12
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 03:15:04 pm »
Salty,
I take the stealing honey as a joke considering you only have one deep.
The hive looks like it is doing real well.
What are you using for smoker fuel? It is not working. If you are using pine needles, it is not packed tight enough. I recommend you switch to pine needles, light a little in the bottom, get it burning real well and then start slowly packing it in real tight. 3 or puffs in the bottom, wait 10 minutes, 3 more puffs, wait 30 seconds and then open the hive.

When you remove the first frame, #1, do not put it back. This gives you room to move the the next frame over so that you do not roll bees, especially the queen and damage them.
If you notice the bees started getting aggressive half way through the video, right about the time the frames were slipping out of your gloves. I recommend either getting nitrate gloves or smoke your bare hands. The gloves are clumsy and you cannot feel the bees when you are crushing them. When a bee gets hurt, the ones next to it attack the perpetrator. The gloves also get stung and have lots of bee venom pheromones which makes the bees aggressive every time you put them back in the hive.
Bees do not like to sting well smoked hands.
I?m not trying to bee critical. Just giving some feedback from what I saw.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 04:21:14 pm »
Thanks Jim - I know the importance of bleeding pheromones and actually closed the hive early du to excited activity.
I use oak leaves and burlap and use a butane plumber torch to get going - it did halfway through.
Thanks Jim
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:01:50 pm »
Barefoot, thanks for the video.  BUT NO BAREFOOT, I was as disappointed.  Just joking.  Nice focused video, no shaking, finally a video that does not give me a headache.  That top deep sounded heavy as you lifted.  You going to extract honey in the future?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:12:30 pm »
Just wanted to offer a tip, salty.  I was told to work the boxes in reverse order, start with the bottom box and move up as you inspect.  If you work a hive top down, you just smoke the bees down, and when you get to the bottom box, it's really full of bees and harder to work.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 06:42:45 pm »
Member,
I had never not heard of that but it makes sense. Thanks

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 06:53:07 pm »
Barefoot, thanks for the video.  BUT NO BAREFOOT, I was as disappointed.  Just joking.  Nice focused video, no shaking, finally a video that does not give me a headache.  That top deep sounded heavy as you lifted.  You going to extract honey in the future?

That?s Arky,
I suffered several attacks. Those tops are seriously heavy. How do I stea them and replace with viable combs !?
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 08:59:05 pm »

That?s Arky,
I suffered several attacks. Those tops are seriously heavy. How do I stea them and replace with viable combs !?

Salty, Barefoot:

Autocorrect can be a pain.  I think you meant to say How do I SAVE them... or How do I STEAL them...

If the heavy combs are capped you can always store the frames of capped honey in the freezer until you are ready to do whatever to the honey.  I believe you have two hives, one weak, one strong, so if you transfer you risk robbing.

If the honey is not capped then what I do is lift the frames one at a time and place in a temporary hive body during an inspection and replace the frames immediately when finished.  There are easy ways to lighten the load of a honey filled deep by removing the frames one at a time.  A pulled, strained, torn muscle, or worse, can cause serious consequences.  We all know of a friend with a back injury, some not so bad, some more serious.  Back injury is so common.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 01:23:54 am »
She was heavy- I had no idea as I lamented all these members here saying how many frames they had drawn, I was shocked what I going d and yes, at least 40 pounds was that top box.
It?s up to me

anything