Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best Entrance  (Read 2598 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Best Entrance
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:55:25 pm »
You are a scout bee, serving the swarm and your queen.

What is the entrance dimension that appeals to you the most?

You have only one choice, for you will live with it the rest of your natural life.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Best Entrance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:51:14 pm »
In natural hives, bees prefer a hive with about a 1 1/4? hole in the middle of the hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:34:42 pm »
In natural hives, bees prefer a hive with about a 1 1/4? hole in the middle of the hive.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks, Saw Dust Maker,

That was my thought exactly but wanted to test the theory.

Now wondering if a couple of nails across it might deter pests.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 11:49:10 pm »
Putting lemon grass oil around the entrance seem to keep a lot of other critters away from the swarm trap especially the wasps. I suspect the smell lets them know that the bees are thinking about moving in and it keeps them out. My boxes that are not maintained with LGO get wasps of different types while the ones maintained do not.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:25 am »
Putting lemon grass oil around the entrance seem to keep a lot of other critters away from the swarm trap especially the wasps. I suspect the smell lets them know that the bees are thinking about moving in and it keeps them out. My boxes that are not maintained with LGO get wasps of different types while the ones maintained do not.
Jim Altmiller

Didn't think about wasps.  Thanks!

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:44:54 pm »
Would a scout bee, its swarm, and queen choose a site on the assumption that it would last through the entire life cycle of the colony?  If so, would that be a valid guide in the dimensions of a hive produced for the beekeeper?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:43:45 pm »
Father Michael,
Only the scouts select the new site. They actually enter the location and measure the inside to see it meets their needs. The larger the swarm, the larger the location that they need.
That is why when we set swarm traps we use foundation less frames. If there were foundation sheets in the frames, it makes the trap look too small.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 08:52:31 am »
Would a scout bee, its swarm, and queen choose a site on the assumption that it would last through the entire life cycle of the colony?

Yes, but keep in mind that their goal is to reproduce.  The size they prefer is much smaller then what we prefer because we want them to continue collecting nectar.  We trick them.  After they have selected the optimum size for their needs we expand that space.  That is not something they do on their own.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:40 am »
Father Michael,
Only the scouts select the new site. They actually enter the location and measure the inside to see it meets their needs. The larger the swarm, the larger the location that they need.
That is why when we set swarm traps we use foundation less frames. If there were foundation sheets in the frames, it makes the trap look too small.
Jim Altmiller

Would they select the entrance size relative to swarm size?

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 09:34:08 am »
Would a scout bee, its swarm, and queen choose a site on the assumption that it would last through the entire life cycle of the colony?

Yes, but keep in mind that their goal is to reproduce.  The size they prefer is much smaller then what we prefer because we want them to continue collecting nectar.  We trick them.  After they have selected the optimum size for their needs we expand that space.  That is not something they do on their own.

Yes, be fruitful and multiply is a law of nature.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 09:45:00 am »
Father Michael,
Jim Altmiller

Would they select the entrance size relative to swarm size?
No the hole size is based on being large enough to vent properly and small enough to protect the hive.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:45 am »
Venting intersecting with guarding -- that makes perfect sense.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 11:58:08 am »
Father Michael,
Jim Altmiller
I believe this may be part of my problem. I have frames with foundation in all mine. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:47 pm »
That trap looks small. Try removing the foundation and place a this wood strip or popsicles sticks in the top slots, melt a little bees wax and nuts paint the edge of the strip. Then replace them.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 11:12:00 pm »
Made two swarm traps of 3/8" plywood and 1x8s.  Inside volume is 13 gallons.  Drilled 1" hole because that is the largest Forstner bit I had.  Have since ordered one that is 1-1/4" in diameter.

One trap is finished to natural color with Tung oil.  The other painted with Valspar exterior latex called State of Mind, which has a violet-gray hue.  Two drops inside each of Lemon Grass oil and around entrance with the same.

Used 1-3/8" wide top bars inside with 1/8" channel down the middle filled with beeswax and a small starter strip of foundation.

If the bees follow the top bar guides they will easily transfer to the hives I'm building.

Why use popsickle sticks as starters?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 12:27:23 am »
I make wood strips and wax the edge. I have a full workshop to be able to make them.  Most beeks do not and Popsicle sticks work as a replacement.  Wax starter strips are just as good.
Jim Altmiller
P
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 01:00:54 am »
Made two swarm traps of 3/8" plywood and 1x8s.  Inside volume is 13 gallons.  Drilled 1" hole because that is the largest Forstner bit I had.  Have since ordered one that is 1-1/4" in diameter.

One trap is finished to natural color with Tung oil.  The other painted with Valspar exterior latex called State of Mind, which has a violet-gray hue.  Two drops inside each of Lemon Grass oil and around entrance with the same.

Used 1-3/8" wide top bars inside with 1/8" channel down the middle filled with beeswax and a small starter strip of foundation.

If the bees follow the top bar guides they will easily transfer to the hives I'm building.

Why use popsickle sticks as starters?

Reverend, One inch will work. Doing cutouts, I have seen nice size hives in homes with entrances with very small holes or openings.
The size hole that Jim suggested happens to be the agreed optimum size. Some use pop sickle sticks as starters for convenience. Personally, I rip the desired length from scrap wood on my table saw. Good luck to you and you journey with bees. "Milk and Honey Flowing"
Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 08:26:07 am »
Thanks, Phillip.