Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
I have a question
« on: May 09, 2019, 09:55:13 pm »
Someone came over to my house and dropped off a top-bar bee hive. He built it himself and wanted to give it to me since i have bees. This is my first year and i'm not sure what to do. I thought about it and decided that once new bees start emerging in my langstroth hive and the population starts growing pretty quickly ill shake some bees into the top-bar hive and order a queen to go in with them. (Im assuming that its too late to get packages plus im already 400$ down the hole with my original hive.) Is this okay or is there another way?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:09:04 pm »
You will need something to hold them there -- brood and eggs on some comb attached to the top bar(s) will do it i willmyield thebfloor to somebody who has donenitnfor a more complete answer.  I will be interested in seeingnwhat they say.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
Sorry about the garbled words.  Hopefully you can tell what I wasbtrying to say.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:14:37 pm »
You will need something to hold them there -- brood and eggs on some comb attached to the top bar(s) will do it i willmyield thebfloor to somebody who has donenitnfor a more complete answer.  I will be interested in seeingnwhat they say.

I can tell what you were trying to say. Those pesky keys next to the space bar. 
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:30:19 pm »
I have used my langs to draw out top bars for friends.   How does the length work out?   19" or shorter?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
I have a question
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 11:03:50 pm »
Based on the situation described, the best advice I can give you is to give it back. 
It has no value to you other than to be repurposed for storage.  Set it out somewhere and store your beekeeper suit and tools and supplies in it.  Or set it next to your patio and use it as a beverage cooler or storage locker.

Seriously. Please, do not put bees in it.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:57:06 pm »
Hey now,  I love my Top Bar Hive.  I like the visibility of sloped sides to see what's going on inside and monitor it.  I must qualify, I am a hobbyist, NOT a commercial op.

The TBH is a brood FACTORY.  The bees crank out brood in that hive better than in any other.  I have to keep an eye on it, but that's ok, it's at my house.  When it's looking crowded, hey! make a split or take brood to strengthen another hive.

Here's how to bring brood into a Lang hive:
Sink two 1-1/4" drywall screws through a Lang frame top and into a selected TBH Bar (while the TBH is closed). The bees don't even know you've got a drill driver.  Lift out the bar and Voila!  It fits a Lang deep.

If your bees are calm, you can add the Lang frame's prenailed bottom & sides using a battery nailer to the top frame. Depending on your TBH's size, comb may need to have the bottom 1" trimmed with a kitchen knife.

I've never had comb collapse as long as there has been a few rounds of brood, since the cocoons make foundationless comb thick and rubbery. Honey is harvested from white-wax capped comb.  No extractor, just a knife and some waxed paper to catch the drips.

But it doesn't transfer easily from Lang to TBH.

If you're going to have only one TBH, I suggest building a little TBH nuc to put a split into.  Just to manage all the bees it cranks out. 

anything