Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeening  (Read 2040 times)

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
Requeening
« on: April 16, 2019, 03:26:48 pm »
I have a slight situation with my bee package I got on the 31st of March. Sporadic *edit* brood *edit*, one Queen cell about to be capped. So I know the queen isn't doing her job. Just bought a new one, and need to know how long to wait after removing the old Queen to introduce the new one.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:31:15 pm by spafmagic »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Requeening
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 03:41:39 pm »
I would have just let them supersede her...  But to answer your question, 2 hours.  Not more than 24 hours.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 04:33:24 pm »
Thank you. I had to edit my post a bit LOL. Speech recognition picked up the word Road rather than brood. If I knew there were more honey bee hives in my area, I probably would have taken the risk of letting them supersede her. But it's been two weeks, and without a really good laying Queen, their numbers are dwindling. I only have one hive.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:37 pm »
We just delivered 600 packages to Kernersville. I think you have plenty of bees in the area.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:51 pm »
We just delivered 600 packages to Kernersville.
If "just" as in the end of March, then I likely got one of those packages. I know bees can fly out to 3 to 5 miles from the hive to forage, by which I based my conclusion that since I haven't seen any other bees but my own prior to obtaining them, I'm not in range of any other hives... if maybe just one other. After hearing about the dangers of the new queen possibly not returning due to getting eaten and what not, I felt it best to re-queen rather than risk the old queen flying off with half of the population this far into the process.

At any rate, the deed is half done. The queen cell has been removed, as well as the old queen. After speaking with the owner of the bee supply store I go to, to ask about the best method for the act itself... he suggested to do what he does when re-queening... dispatch the old queen over the new queen's cage, to spread her pheromones over it mixing them with the new one, to help the workers with the transition. As the old queen's pheromones fade, they would get used to the new one.

In the morning, since I'll be within that 24 hour mark... I'll be doing just that. But I'm open to other suggestions at any rate.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 06:46:45 am »
You probably did. It was March 29, or April 5.  Even if you don't see them, there are plenty of bees around you. I have done several removals in and around K-ville. and
George has been in business for years.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 02:03:40 pm »
You probably did. It was March 29, or April 5.  Even if you don't see them, there are plenty of bees around you. I have done several removals in and around K-ville. and
George has been in business for years.

Well... I figure some good news is a good reason to dredge up this thread one more time. So from bad news to good news...

After a failed requeening, I discovered more queen cells. So, I introduced a queenless package to the hive before the other queen cells hatched, to add to the workforce hoping the new queen would hatch and go on a mating flight. Soon enough I found a virgin queen crawling on the ground after the cells hatched. Putting her on the landing board, she was immediately being forced away from the hive.

So George came out and looked at the hive not long ago, and best he figured, there was a laying worker in there despite no evidence of eggs. I got a new queen the same day for one more attempt. We took the hive out a good ways and knocked all the bees off the frames to eject the laying worker. A good chunk of them stayed there, while the ones that have been out of the hive flew back. Oddly enough, the queen cage had a THICK candy plug. After nearly 5 days, they were still trying to eat her out. So I pulled the direct release plug and let her out this Thursday. Today, I found Mama, and an estimated hundred+ "mama droppings" (eggs). The comb cells for some reason vary a little bit in size. I hope she didn't put drone eggs in the slightly larger cells.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:22:08 am »
Drone eggs are the same size as worker eggs. The only difference is that worker cells are fertilized.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin