Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is now a good time for my swarm catcher in Michigan?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Is now a good time for my swarm catcher in Michigan?
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:48:27 pm »
My friend texted me a video of a swarm in her backyard. I'm a 2nd year beekeeper and have never seen a swarm until last year...both MY hives. I was pretty proud when she asked me to come get it but I wasn't ready yet.

My hives swarmed July last year. I built a hive and swarm catcher to try to catch one this year. I was going to wait until July to put it out but since I know of a swarm in my state now, should I hang it up?

Thanks, Art
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Is now a good time for my swarm catcher in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:59:15 pm »
Yes, Yes, and Yes. 

I don't know your area but it is never too early to hang up swarm traps(as long as the is something in bloom).  Just remember when your hives swarmed last year they were new hives, the ones that overwintered are at least good month ahead of them.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:40:40 am »
Yes, Yes, and Yes. 

I don't know your area but it is never too early to hang up swarm traps(as long as the is something in bloom).  Just remember when your hives swarmed last year they were new hives, the ones that overwintered are at least good month ahead of them.
Ok! And thanks for the reminder but I have all new hives just started this month. The first two didn't make it. Thanks for the tip!
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:18:41 am »
Flex,
Are you only planning to catch your own swarms?
Cao was referring to the fact that other hives are out there that did make it through the winter. Those are the swarms that you want to catch. They have proved that they can survive in your climate. The best ones are the ones from feral hives that made it with no treatments.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:48:56 am »
Flex,
Are you only planning to catch your own swarms?
Cao was referring to the fact that other hives are out there that did make it through the winter. Those are the swarms that you want to catch. They have proved that they can survive in your climate. The best ones are the ones from feral hives that made it with no treatments.
Jim
Yes, just for me. I would like to have 4 hives this time. I have 3 new package bees this year. My 2 last year died. Now that makes a lot of sense that they would do well sense they already proven they can survive. Yeah, I'll take one like that!
Check out my Blog!:

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:40:04 am »
My friend texted me a video of a swarm in her backyard. I'm a 2nd year beekeeper and have never seen a swarm until last year...both MY hives. I was pretty proud when she asked me to come get it but I wasn't ready yet.

My hives swarmed July last year. I built a hive and swarm catcher to try to catch one this year. I was going to wait until July to put it out but since I know of a swarm in my state now, should I hang it up?

Thanks, Art

I will come over and get that swarm. I have had my traps out for a month but I am sure that was a little early.  I believe we are coming into swarm season now for sure. Get them up maybe you will catch a swarm from the swarm you lost last year.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:05:56 pm »

Thanks, Art

I will come over and get that swarm. I have had my traps out for a month but I am sure that was a little early.  I believe we are coming into swarm season now for sure. Get them up maybe you will catch a swarm from the swarm you lost last year.

It was still there 8:00am this morning. Just bigger. I will try to private message you.
Check out my Blog!: