Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What would happen?  (Read 1438 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
What would happen?
« on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:44 am »
What would happen If I were to put a frame of grafted larva in a box above a very strong hive with the queen still intact, by using a separation board with only a small 6x6 QE separation entrance between the strong hive at the bottom, and this new box with the frame of grafted larva on top?  Let me add. If I were at that time, to shake a few frames of bees from this same strong hive from the bottom, adding them to the top? We are including worker and nurse bees into this top box, which still have access to the bottom strong hive by the QE 6x6 opening. Would more nurse bees come up joining to help tend to the larva, developing queens, or would the hive simply cut down all the prospective Queen larva on top? I have not heard of this practice and wonder what might happen? Thanks in advance.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: What would happen?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:47:47 am »
I would assume that they would build queen cells for supercedure like they do if you put a frame of eggs above the honey band where the queen doesn't venture.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 12:54:51 am »
I would assume that they would build queen cells for supercedure like they do if you put a frame of eggs above the honey band where the queen doesn't venture.

Thanks Cao, shows how little I know and how much more I have to learn. I did not even know that they would build queen cells for supersedure if you put a frame of eggs above the honey band where the queen doesn't venture. I really appreciate your reply. I have soooo much to learn!  Thanks once again Cao, you have been a big help to me time and time again.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 12:58:15 am »
I have been meaning to try it out for myself, just to see but haven't found the time.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 01:04:06 am »
I think I will give it a try, maybe the 6x6 may not be necessary if I simply use another full QE on the top between the honey super and new top box. I am trying to eliminate the swarm possibility, and now from the supersedure possibility mode at the same time. Any thoughts on that?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 01:08:20 am »
As far as the supercedure, I would assume that if you pulled the queen cell(s) out when they are capped then have nothing to supercede with.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 01:10:05 am »
As far as the supercedure, I would assume that if you pulled the queen cell(s) out when they are capped then have nothing to supercede with.

I like it!  ThankS Cao

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 02:12:34 am »
Done all the time Ben. 
What you describe is the "Cell Finisher". No reduced area in the separation is necessary. I regularly finish cells in the second box above a queen excluder, right above the mated queen in the box below the excluder.

However, if what you are meaning and describing is to put the freshly grafted cups up there, ones which have not already been kicked off by a "Cell starter" or pre-primed with royal jelly.  That will still work but only very few of the of the graft will be "started" into queen cells. Most of the cups will just be cleaned out and cells polished.  If you want to do it this way, then what you need to look into and read up on is the cloak board method.

The farther up the stack the graft is put, the farther it is away from the smell of the laying queen, and thus the more of the graft that will be started and finished.  Farther = More.  The block, the cloak board, helps accomplish this without the extra space.

Hope that helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5YGK9OX5E

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 08:17:35 am »
I remember sawdstmkr saying to keep the grafts far enough away from the broodnest and the queen pheremone.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 08:21:10 am »
Quoting HP
However, if what you are meaning and describing is to put the freshly grafted cups up there, ones which have not already been kicked off by a "Cell starter" or pre-primed with royal jelly.  That will still work but only very few of the of the graft will be "started" into queen cells. Most of the cups will just be cleaned out and cells polished.  If you want to do it this way, then what you need to look into and read up on is the cloak board method.

Yes sir, that is what I was asking. An all in one, so to speak. Thank you for taking the time to explain  and find and share the video of the cloak board method. I look forward to watching! Now, on to the video! Thanks Mr HP.

Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 08:48:16 am »
I just watched the video. Very well made and explained. HP, thanks again.

anything