Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Timing / positioning on Apivar strips  (Read 2181 times)

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
Timing / positioning on Apivar strips
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:14:20 pm »
I have no experience with Apivar vertical strips, so I call on the colony here. How far apart? Do nurse bees move from one frame to another? i.e. if there is a double brood box, how do I place them? how many?

About the only way I ever see mites is taking pics of nurse bees over open brood and blowing them up on my computer. I realize if we have bees, we have mites, but seeing one on a nurse of my strongest colony made me think it might be time to do something.

I have a plan to do OAV in the fall, but haven't purchased the stuff yet. I ordered the strips and other stuff from Dadant in early spring but their shipping was delayed due to all the stuff going on and by the time anything got here I had packages with capped brood.

I'm not pulling any honey this year, strickly building up. Thanks for your input and help!  :grin:

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Timing / positioning on Apivar strips
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 01:28:08 pm »
   Its a good idea to do a mite count before treating.  That way you can determine if the treatment worked.  Here's a good method and instructions. https://pollinators.msu.edu/resources/beekeepers/varroa-mite-monitoring1/

Follow the instructions that come with the product carefully, they are pretty easy to follow.  2 strips per hive body positioned close to brood at least 2 frames apart. NO honey supers.  Leave on for a minimum of 42 days, max of 56 days.  First week of July is a good target date for treatment unless your mite count is high now. After the treatment do another mite count.

An excellent resource to help you keep mites in check and understand the products used to control them:  https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/

Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 08:43:14 pm »
JoJo,

You want two strips per box with brood.   My bee partner participated in a trial study with vetopharma last year and said you need to leave them in the full 8 weeks,  even longer if you can.   I also know some beeks that lost bees this winter with high mite counts that treated with apivar, but less than the 8 weeks.  I had good success with apivar for a few years, but went back to AO last year because of the cost.

Rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 09:00:55 am »
This question is assuming the strips are the length of deep hives. If I have medium hive brood boxes, do I cut the strips to fit, and if I do, will it be enough insecticide to kill the mites?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 09:08:16 am »
This question is assuming the strips are the length of deep hives. If I have medium hive brood boxes, do I cut the strips to fit, and if I do, will it be enough insecticide to kill the mites?

Well two deeps is equivalent to three mediums, so I would calculate the number of strips based on that.   I wouldn't necessarily cut strips, though you can and I've done it for some small nucs,  but err on the side of more strips than needed.   
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 03:44:41 pm »
Thanks guys, all good information. Knew some of you would have the experience/expertise.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 03:56:16 pm »
Thanks guys, all good information. Knew some of you would have the experience/expertise.

A few more tips for you.  Don't use the plastic triangle the hang your strips,  it presses the strip against one of the combs and the bees will tear out the comb behind it.   Better to hand it between the frames with either a toothpick or small nail through the hole.   This way it will just dangle between the combs and cause less damage.   Also consider moving them around every 3 weeks.   The nurse bees/brood will be moved away from them over time, so repositioning helps.   Unless you have a very mild varroa problem, leave in for at least 8 weeks.  If you have a lot of mites leave in for 10 weeks.    I believe some trials in France have shown effectiveness up to 12 weeks.    I wouldn't be surprised if the labelling changes in the future based upon the learning of last years trials.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 11:10:42 pm »

A few more tips for you.  Don't use the plastic triangle the hang your strips,  it presses the strip against one of the combs and the bees will tear out the comb behind it.   Better to hand it between the frames with either a toothpick or small nail through the hole.   This way it will just dangle between the combs and cause less damage.   Also consider moving them around every 3 weeks.   The nurse bees/brood will be moved away from them over time, so repositioning helps.   Unless you have a very mild varroa problem, leave in for at least 8 weeks.  If you have a lot of mites leave in for 10 weeks.    I believe some trials in France have shown effectiveness up to 12 weeks.    I wouldn't be surprised if the labelling changes in the future based upon the learning of last years trials.

I seriously appreciate it!  :grin: I figured the plastic triangle might be a bad idea but it's good to hear it from someone who knows. I don't think I have a serious mite problem in most of them but one came out of winter with some mite issues and I've done nothing this spring to alleviate. Thankfully, right now the cost isn't a determining factor if they work. Other than doing some modern P&W music in various churches and venues in mid-TN, and work, bees are my only real deal. I call it a hobby because I don't like the word obsession.  :wink:

I'm giving a couple of splits away to folks around here but not planning to pull any honey this year so something long-term is probably my best bet. On that note, is the logic that they stay in long enough for 2 full brood cycles, so any mites inside capped brood have to come out and jump on somebody to get exposed?

Again, many thanks.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 03:31:44 am »
Correct.  The target length of treatment is minimum two brood cycles. 
Two brood cycles of worker is 2x 21 = 42 days; 6 weeks, which is what the instructions are.

HOWEVER, consider where the mite factory really is. Drones.
Two brood cycles of drone is 2x 24 = 48 days; 7 weeks.  Imho, the drone cycle is the minimum.
There is no harm, more benefits to leaving it in longer.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 01:40:17 pm »
how important is too hot to use. Our temps have been in the 90's since the first of June with a few exceptions, and will be mid 80's - mid 90's with some 100 degree plus days thrown in through August

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 01:53:50 am »
The effectiveness of ApiVar is not affected by temperature.  It works by different mechanism and chemistry than other miticides like formic or thymol.  Formic and thymol have very narrow temperature ranges between being effective, doing harm, or doing nothing.  No such problems or concerns with ApiVar.

Hope that helps!

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 10:02:09 am »
Thanks so much HP - in my mind you are a bee guru extraordinaire