Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: longhives  (Read 1010 times)

Offline thedldmt

• New Bee
longhives
« on: June 13, 2020, 11:06:05 am »
I am running a long hive and have utilized a separator board to allow my bees to fill the hive as needed. My problem is that I have moved theboard down 7 frames and my beeshaven't moved into thenew frames yet.It has been 5 days. Does anyone have info concerning this situation?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: longhives
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:16:25 am »
Welcome  :happy:.

They may not need the space yet.  Are they backfilling the brood nest with nectar?(getting ready to swarm)  Is there a flow on/Are they building white wax?  A little more background information would be necessary for a better answer.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 01:33:42 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
If there is not a flow they will not produce wax. Sounds like you gave them too much space. Did you mean that they now have a total of seven frames or did you add an additional 7 frames.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline thedldmt

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:30:05 pm »
I had 13 frames to start out. They were filled with comb so I added moved the  7 frames.

Offline thedldmt

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 09:37:03 pm »
There is a flow on.
The last frame has white wax.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 05:54:24 am »
Cao may be  right, have your bees swarmed and so you don't need the space.
Something doesn't add up, just because they have waxed frame 13, if it is not full of honey then why add more frame area.
Another 7 frames is a lot, when I would think the advantage of a long hive would be to just add a frame at a time as they fill the last one.
I am no expert on long hives.
Bees always run better when there is not extra space to look after.

anything