Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible AFB  (Read 1274 times)

Offline pawel_knychas

• New Bee
Possible AFB
« on: June 14, 2020, 09:18:56 am »
This particular hive was a pretty strong hive with 9 capped brood bars and 5 capped honey bars around early to mid April.
During my last inspection I did not see or smell anything wrong. They looked good and ready to go into winter.
I checked it this week to find no traffic coming in or out.
Obviously did an emergency inspection to find pretty much an empty hive.
No dead bees on the bottom. Queen is still there with a handful of worker bees.
9 combs of capped brood dead and mouldy.
Honey intact, a few hive beetles which I killed.
Just not sure what happened here.
I am thinking that maybe the queen died and they had to raise an emergency one but it was too late for her to mate. Or they swarmed and left pretty much an empty hive. Mind you there were no queen cups or cells present during my last inspection.
Maybe they sensed that the hive was infected and left.
I haven?t done the matchstick test. Silly me.
There was no bad smell when I opened the hive.
Can brood that was left alone unattended develop AFB?
See some photos attached

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Possible AFB
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 09:56:56 am »
Pawel, your from Australia, yes?  I have not witnessed AFB with my own eyes.  However, I believe sunken cell caps, and rope test are utilized in the field for conformation, as well as smell.  I see a few sunken cell caps but no smell?

1.  I would notify the bee inspector.
2.  AFB is caused by a spore forming bacteria, highly contagious.  Seal the hive until accurate determination is made.  Isolate the tool and gloves used on this hive.
3.  I just can?t determine from the pics is hive is positive?

Sorry about the hive.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:27:41 am »
To me it sounds like the brood was just abandoned and died.   In the few instances I have seen AFB the hive still tried to clean out the dead brood as best they could.   It looks like yours has actually developed mold which I have never seen with AFB.   You definitely have a mystery to try and solve of where all the bees went, but from what I see I would not jump to AFB without a rope test to start.   I find it interesting that the queen is still there.   

Keep us posted.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 04:19:41 pm »
All the pics show brood. Not a bite of food. It looks like they may have absconded from starvation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 06:29:39 am »
Van's advice is good.
Do a match/ rope test.
Contact your local DPI bee inspector.
You can do a smear on a slide with a cover slip (which you can get from your local vet for a small charge) and send it to Gribbles Vet Lab in Clayton Victoria, or if you have a Vet Lab in NSW that does AFB testing. If you can get A Dpi inspector easy enough he will take a slide.

Bees that starve out usually are all gone including the queen in my experience.
EFB , European Foul Brood can also run a hive down but both have a smell in the hive.
Regardless still get it looked at by a Bee Inspector.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 06:44:23 am »
Van's advice is good.
Do a match/ rope test.
Contact your local DPI bee inspector.
You can do a smear on a slide with a cover slip (which you can get from your local vet for a small charge) and send it to Gribbles Vet Lab in Clayton Victoria, or if you have a Vet Lab in NSW that does AFB testing. If you can get A Dpi inspector easy enough he will take a slide.

Bees that starve out usually are all gone including the queen in my experience.
EFB , European Foul Brood can also run a hive down but both have a smell in the hive.
Regardless still get it looked at by a Bee Inspector.

Great advice, luckily here in NSW we can get free testing from our DPI, this link will help:

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock/bees/pests-diseases/afb-awareness-month

Just treat it as a case of AFB until you can prove otherwise; I had to deal with it several years ago, horrible process, at least you didn't have to pour a jug of petrol on your bees to kill them. I don't think I'll ever forget the odour, like tangy rotting meat.