Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reality Gameshow for Beeks  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
Reality Gameshow for Beeks
« on: June 11, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »
I've watched them all from Forged In Fire, or Next Top Model, and all the cooking ones and a bunch of crap in between. What if they did a competition between beeks.

Setup in some meadow somewhere, cast lots of who gets which plot, near the water, near the treeline, in the shade or full sun or whatever.. Then each of them is given a nuc colony chosen at random from a stack of them. There is a barn on premises that is stocked with plain old wood, and perhaps some unassembled stuff (donated for advertising by <name your favorite supplier>.) There is #2 sugar syrup and hfcs and whatever medications in the fridge. Everything has a price. They can do splits, or catch each other's swarms or wild ones if that happens (the producers can seed a few swarms if it make for better television)

In the end, they have to liquidate. So you get so much for a working active hive/nuc etc. So much for a queen, so much for human consumable honey per lb. so much for rendered wax, propolis, pollen, and usable gear. Maybe to goose things up they have to submit entries for all the stuff to the state fairs and get so many points for ribbons or maybe even get some premium on their honey poundage if it is award winning.

I think you would really have to follow them through a good 2 years. There would be lots of tape recorded and it would have to be edited down to  maximum 13 episodes.

Would you watch this? Would you participate? Could you win? What strategy would you employ :)

Sorry, brain is just going down some funny places lately.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Reality Gameshow for Beeks
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 04:07:00 am »
I'd watch. I would participate. ... ideas like yours are how millions are made. Go get 'em ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 12:10:03 pm »
What a great idea!  I'd certainly watch, although I wouldn't want to participate.  I like my privacy, thank you very much.  :wink: :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 02:05:35 pm »
I'd watch. I would participate. ... ideas like yours are how millions are made. Go get 'em ...

Need to find some controversial persons in the beekeeping field to be judges and mentors and stuff like that. Unfortunately, I have no idea who to pitch such an idea to, but I can just dream...

Anyone got a connection at History or Discovery Channel? Or perhaps some good YouTubers with a budget?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Reality Gameshow for Beeks
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 10:56:32 pm »
I would participate. 
I would win. 
I would not watch.

Great concept!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 11:16:15 pm »

Need to find some controversial persons in the beekeeping field to be judges and mentors and stuff like that. Unfortunately, I have no idea who to pitch such an idea to, but I can just dream...

Anyone got a connection at History or Discovery Channel? Or perhaps some good YouTubers with a budget?

When Tom Lester left Mississippi for Hollywood, he was intent on being on the Beverly Hillbillies. Well he never made it, instead he made it on Green Acres. He became friends with Paul Henning the producer of The Beverly Hillbillies and was offered the title as Eb. You will have to do your homework and seek the right people, present your ideas, and go from there. Good Luck to you, wishing you the best!

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 12:52:25 am »
I would participate. 
I would win. 
I would not watch.

Great concept!
You wouldn't watch it even after you won?!  That's cold.  :wink: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 04:48:24 am »
Aren't reality shows about drama and betrayal?
I would enter and be the best friend, everyone likes the most.
Meanwhile, behind the scenes, I would spike your nectar areas with hummingbird feeders filled with red dye #6, and at night, i would duct tape your hives and swap them around.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 08:13:41 am »
You have a devious mind...

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 08:23:07 am »
Meanwhile, behind the scenes, I would spike your nectar areas with hummingbird feeders filled with red dye #6, and at night, i would duct tape your hives and swap them around.

Okay lol ~ Bob would win.

I do not watch these type shows - because of all the drama / betrayal.  If your show did not have that, I?d watch in a heartbeat. I would think about taking your idea to someone like PBS or National Geographic.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 08:51:22 am »

Okay lol ~ Bob would win.

I do not watch these type shows - because of all the drama / betrayal.  If your show did not have that, I?d watch in a heartbeat. I would think about taking your idea to someone like PBS or National Geographic.

I agree with you Seeb. I do not watch that junk either. If it is junk Absinthe wants to produce, you can count me out also. I want no part of it. There is enough wickedness in the world as is without promoting it.  :smile:

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:11:27 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 01:25:46 pm »

Wow Bob, ... just wow.  :cheesy:

My current break-even price on honey would have to be about $250 lb, so I wouldn't be on it unless they just needed someone to axe during the first few shows.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 01:42:53 pm »
That's why I so like Forged In Fire. There seems to be a lot of respect for each other and I have even seen participants help one another. That is the type of show I prefer.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 03:16:17 pm »
There seems to be a lot of respect for each other and I have even seen participants help one another. That is the type of show I prefer.

Me too Absinthe.  Wonder if the Apiary Department at NCSU, or Beekeepers Association might have some pull in getting something like this produced.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 03:42:44 pm »
That's why I so like Forged In Fire. There seems to be a lot of respect for each other and I have even seen participants help one another. That is the type of show I prefer.
I've always thought that show looked cool.  I've just never dedicated the time to giving it a try.  I'm watching too many shows already. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 09:54:19 pm »
>.That's why I so like Forged In Fire. There seems to be a lot of respect for each other and I have even seen participants help one another. That is the type of show I prefer.

Thanks for clearing that up Absinthe, follow your dreams.