Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Distance?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Distance?
« on: June 06, 2020, 04:10:09 pm »
So I?m extracting little honey today. Last year I set the equipment outside my shop for them to clean up. Last year my yard was about 200 yards away. I?ve moved my yard this year closer to house for convenience. They are about 50 yards from my shop. What?s y?all thoughts on me putting the equipment outside shop with the hives this close?  I will put it on opposite side so shop is blocking view. So they will have to go up and over.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Distance?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:32:08 pm »
Nock how many frames are you extracting?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 05:00:37 pm »
Not many 15 or so deep frames. And I crushed and strained some from a earlier removal.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:52:50 pm »
During our last flow bees had no interest in cleaning up equipment for me. Once the flow stopped if I left the shed door open I needed to box up any equipment inside.
100 metres or 100 yards is irrelevant, they?ll find it if they?re starved of other sources whether your neighbourhood bees.
I?m assuming you are talking about the extractor, sieve and buckets and not frames?

Being closer to the hives I guess the issue would be robbing?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 11:28:46 pm »
Yeah just equipment. And I?m worried about robbing. We will see tomorrow.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 03:53:51 am »
Take the equipment that 50 yards, put it at the beeyard.  Do not teach them to goto your shop.  Ever. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:34:11 am »
But keep it at least 50 yards from your hives. I put my feeder and stickies in my barn, it would s about 200 yards from my apiary but I do not process honey there. We process honey in the house.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:07 am »
Take the equipment that 50 yards, put it at the beeyard.  Do not teach them to goto your shop.  Ever.
I agree.  Put the frames in the hive and if you don't want to truck the equipment out to the hives just wash it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 10:57:17 pm »
Yeah, putting the sticky equipment in your beeyard will just start a robbing problem.  The dance changes from a circle to a figure "8" when they have to go 300 feet, or 100 meters from the hives.

What will happen is the bees will look in the area, with a radius 300 feet from the hives, and when the honey is cleaned up, they'll go looking for more with all your hives, and all their stores in the target zone.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.