Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My reaction to bee stings is changing?  (Read 5280 times)

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
Re: My reaction to bee stings is changing?
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:22 pm »
Stings for me can have a variety of effects, depending on where I get hit.  Facial stings hurt like blunt force trauma for several hours, but rarely cause extreme swelling.  Getting hit in the wrist will swell my entire forearm.  An injection to the back of my hand will swell the fingers and hand to the point of limited mobility for a couple of days.

Unlike some folks here, I have only taken about 6 stings over the course of 3 years.  Only one since I started going gloveless.  I can't speak to building up resistance.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2020, 09:31:40 pm »
I have the same one as JurassicApiary. I like it a lot. Mine leaves the back of my neck exposed a bit but once it?s pulled down in the back it?s covered. It makes me feel better to adjust it, but then what difference does it make if my shoulder blades aren?t covered. I?m in shorts and a t-shirt with flip flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:58 pm »
This is what I use 90% of the time. 
https://www.bugshirt.com/products/original/

When I know things are going to get knarly then the goto are the coveralls, gauntlets and old trusty Alexander style veil.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2020, 09:21:47 pm »
Nice veils and bug shirts.
I bought an alexadrian veil, which came folded, even though it is round, and it has taken me a long time to work out the bends in the mesh. I should probably try to heat it, then let it cool straight.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2020, 10:47:39 am »
I got hit today for the 5th time since I started beekeeping spring 2019.
Last week I received my 4th. I pulled my hive tool off my pocket magnet, and there was a bee perched on it. That one was on the palm side of my forefinger. It hurt for a minute, then itched a little that day with a tiny bump.
But today?! I got stung on the top of that same hand, near my pinkie knuckle. That whole side of my hand is swollen, itchy, and is tender sore.
I have never had a reaction like this before. I was beginning to think I was super bee impervious. Not anynore.
What's the deal?

Bob,

Many years ago I worked with Amber Rose doing BVT.   She had a protocol that patients needed to follow before she would start treatment.    It was no alcohol within the last 24 hours and taking 4000 mg of vitamin C a day.   I don't remember the exact reasoning, but something to do with your body needs the vitamin C to produce whatever it needs to react to the venom.   She claimed when you body didn't have enough vitamin C, that is when anaphylaxis occurs.   At the time, she had stung over 10,000 people and never had an anaphylaxis incident.    Since then I have always taken vitamin C during bee season and have noticed much less issues with stings.  Ya they still hurt like hell for about 30 seconds on certain areas of my body,   but then the pain is gone and within a few hours I don't even remember where the sting happened.

Your mileage mat vary, but might be worth a try.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2020, 04:50:02 pm »

Bob,

Many years ago I worked with Amber Rose doing BVT.   She had a protocol that patients needed to follow before she would start treatment.    It was no alcohol within the last 24 hours and taking 4000 mg of vitamin C a day.   I don't remember the exact reasoning, but something to do with your body needs the vitamin C to produce whatever it needs to react to the venom.   She claimed when you body didn't have enough vitamin C, that is when anaphylaxis occurs.   At the time, she had stung over 10,000 people and never had an anaphylaxis incident.    Since then I have always taken vitamin C during bee season and have noticed much less issues with stings.  Ya they still hurt like hell for about 30 seconds on certain areas of my body,   but then the pain is gone and within a few hours I don't even remember where the sting happened.

Your mileage mat vary, but might be worth a try.

Thanks for sharing, Robo.  I'm going to give this a try.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2020, 08:05:40 pm »
Rob,
That is good info. I eat a lot of fruit everyday and this may help with my body not reacting to bee stings.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2020, 12:40:51 pm »
Exactly the opposite for me and my wife.  She lives on fruit and I can take it or leave it.  She has extreme reactions and I have nearly none.  Not saying vitamin C doesn't help but it is not the complete answer.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2020, 10:05:10 pm »
Just found out this evening that the complete answer to "that bee" who won't get away from your face...is the clapping method.

Best. Defense. Ever.  Thanks, HP.

anything