Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Prices for honey products...  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Prices for honey products...
« on: June 04, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »
I was window shopping along River Street, located in Savannah, Ga. last Monday, and found a honey bee store.
Honey sold for $110 for 80 ounces (That's $176 a gallon)
and lip balm for $3.50.
I thought you beeks would like to know. :wink:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Prices for honey products...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:05:01 pm »
I have a lip balm from Savannah Bee, and I am not impressed with its quality to be honest, especially for the price.  I has not held up over time; it's gotten grainy and the wax is coming out of solution.  Lip balms from local apiaries, as well as my own, have been much better.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Honeyeater

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:33:51 pm »
How much honey they can actually sell at that price though?

I have an opposite problem here where I live. In the past few years several backyard beekeepers popped up around me. I'm seeing a lot of "honey for sale signs". I presume Flow hive users like myself.

I used to give jars of honey to my wife to sell at her work place, but this year, another guy is undercutting me, and also giving away his honey for free.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 09:35:45 pm »
https://www.honey.com/honey-industry/statistics/retail-honey-price

This is saying $8.09 per pound on the average retail.

I've been selling full bars (4 to 5 lbs) of white wax comb honey for $40.  No need to crush and strain, the customers love it. Cut the slab from the wood frame and wrap in parchment with a fancy sticker. :-)  It reminds me of when I'd buy a fresh salmon at Seattle's Pike Place Market.

The parchment holds in every drop of honey, which can be recovered with a spatula.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:24:21 am »
https://www.honey.com/honey-industry/statistics/retail-honey-price

This is saying $8.09 per pound on the average retail.

I've been selling full bars (4 to 5 lbs) of white wax comb honey for $40.  No need to crush and strain, the customers love it. Cut the slab from the wood frame and wrap in parchment with a fancy sticker. :-)  It reminds me of when I'd buy a fresh salmon at Seattle's Pike Place Market.

The parchment holds in every drop of honey, which can be recovered with a spatula.
FG, that is genius! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 12:34:36 pm »
No - LOL - it is lazy!  :wink:

And PS.... to Bob:  that honey in the store was so expensive because it's AGED  :cheesy: haha it's been there for YEARS because of the price.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 12:59:54 pm »
$110/gallon...wow!

Here in Hawaii, majority of local honey sells between $14-16/lb. with the rare varietals commanding up to $20/lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 01:14:30 pm »
I?m digging this presentation (photos are not mine). The poster (named Steve) was showing the method to teach how to DIY so I don?t think they would have a problem sharing:

If anyone is interested in seeing the entire post with more photos and instructions from the author I can find it and post the link. Once the bees cap the honey, he fills the empty space in the jar with honey too. Personally, I dig the presentation and simplicity.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 03:31:14 pm »
I?m digging this presentation (photos are not mine). The poster (named Steve) was showing the method to teach how to DIY so I don?t think they would have a problem sharing:

If anyone is interested in seeing the entire post with more photos and instructions from the author I can find it and post the link. Once the bees cap the honey, he fills the empty space in the jar with honey too. Personally, I dig the presentation and simplicity.

Oh that is so cool!  I've been wondering if anyone still did this.  People used to sell honey like this in the 1800s.  Apparently even back then consumers were worried about adulterated honey, so by selling comb built directly in the jar, it was obviously the beekeeper hadn't handled it.  I remember reading about this in conjunction with the development of the langstroth hive. 

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 04:27:17 pm »
Jurassic - that is very interesting. I have not seen that before, but I really like it. ... Definitely would like to learn more.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 05:22:46 pm »
me too Jurassic

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 06:49:46 pm »
I like it Matt! Thanks for posting! I am very interested in the information!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 09:49:33 pm »
I'm bumping up this thread because I want to see your honey prices for 2021.   Boutique packaging vs. a quart jar.

Comb honey and strained/extracted....

Everything else on the planet costs more this year.... my bees and I worked hard.  Did the prices go up?

Thanks everyone.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 11:56:36 pm »
Still selling for $10 a pint, $18 a quart, and $7 a 1lb plastic squeeze bottle.  The rare one gallon sale is $60.  I am still on the cheap side around here.  I have seen it as high as $12-15 a lb.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 12:17:26 am »
I am glad this was bumped, I would like to know more about the process of the drawn honeycomb in the jars.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:34 pm »
I'm selling in bulk for $70/gal. this year. 

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 02:30:24 pm »
I sell it for $10 in pound squeeze bottle. With no problem.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 09:19:04 pm »
$10 same as nock.  Gave a bottle as a tip this morning and he turned around and bought two more.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 12:27:43 am »
I'm selling in bulk

Member what type gallon container do you use?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 12:42:58 am »
I'm selling in bulk

Member what type gallon container do you use?
Just food grade 5 gal. buckets from Lowes. 

anything