Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking at new woodstoves  (Read 3468 times)

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Looking at new woodstoves
« on: July 09, 2022, 04:03:13 pm »
After 25 years it's time to get a new woodstove.  Im currently looking at the Quadra Fire 4300 step top.  Any feedback on this or any other woodstoves greatly appreciated.  There's so many to choose from and I dont mind spending more for a better quality stove.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:12:29 pm by Ben Framed »
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Looking at new woodstoves
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 04:12:13 pm »
Beesnweeds are you speaking of heating only or both cooking and heating? If heating only, I can not recommend WonderWood Thermostatic controlled 'wood heaters' enough! They are awesome!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 04:34:56 pm »
Just heating. Thank you, I'll check out the Wonder Wood.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 05:08:05 pm »
We have two custom inserts from Vermont Castings.  We love them.  We had them installed in both our fireplaces, and they are extremely efficient. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 05:36:50 pm »
Just heating. Thank you, I'll check out the Wonder Wood.

Beesnweeds the WonderWood model I am familiar with is not an insert but free standing. 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 07:42:34 am »
How about a rocket mass heater?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 05:39:17 pm »
I don't know about their wood stoves, but we have had two Quadra Fire pellet stoves.  they have been great.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 09:58:54 pm »
I spend a lot of time on Hearth.com. Those guys can fix you up. I have a VC Aspen and like it for my small
space, but wouldn?t recommend VC based off what I hear about their customer service, and all my questions to their CS have been meet with narcissistic and rude replies. If you have trouble with a VC stove, you will be on your own. Mine has been great though. I just had questions when I first got it, and they ain?t got time for that. On hearth.com, you will find that is common even with real issues and safety concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:37:37 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 09:44:33 am »
No one likes a camp fire more than me but I am surprised wood stoves for heating are not outlawed, especially in NY.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 10:19:45 am »
Ace,
Why did you say that? What is wrong with wood stoves. They have been in use for hundreds of years.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 11:43:18 am »
The EPA has pretty tight regulations on new stoves and lots of places don?t let you do a new install using an older model stove. Only the most recently EPA approved stoves will meet code.
That doesn?t mean you can?t buy and old Fisher off Craigslist and put it in, but insurance may not cover a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything