Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why are my bees bearding in early am?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Busybee58

• New Bee
Why are my bees bearding in early am?
« on: April 25, 2022, 02:55:54 pm »
As if this whole beekeeper process isn't confusing enough, now my bees in my long Lang
have been bearding in the early morning hours.
Why??? It's cooler temps 50's low 60's than the mid to upper 80's we're getting right now.
My bee inspector came out on Good Friday and said have good strong hives, each hive (then) had 2 empty frames. Lots of drones. She said I might want to split each hive!
I just got the nucs a month ago.
Every week is more confusing than the last. Ending with a big sigh....🙄

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Why are my bees bearding in early am?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 03:39:15 pm »
Wow, that's great that they have built up so quickly!  I know the learning curve is steep your first year, but hang in there.  It will start to make more sense; well, until it doesn't again.  :wink:  The bees will always keep you guessing!  :happy:  But once you have the basics down, it won't seem so overwhelming.  Keep the questions coming, and we'll help you out as best we can. 

My guess as to the bearding is that it's in the early morning when the hive is fullest.  The foragers come home every night, and so the hive is very crowded, and in the mornings when it has started to warm up, they go out on the porch, so to speak, to help keep the hive cool.  Once it warms up, they fly out and work in the field, and so the congestion is alleviated during the warm hours of the day.  If that's the case, I'd agree with the bee inspector that they will either need more room or may need to be split soon, since congestion is one of the triggers for swarming. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 04:38:34 pm »
If they don?t go in at night and are out side in the morning then they are probably going to swarm. I have seen this over and over again happen to my observation hive. Recommend that you do a split and move the old queen to a new location.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 11:58:06 pm »
recently helped someone with an apimae hive with a bunch of bees hanging out under the hive for about a week.  turns out a queen came back from mating flight and decided to hold up under there.   a possibility maybe?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 10:37:25 am »
recently helped someone with an apimae hive with a bunch of bees hanging out under the hive for about a week.  turns out a queen came back from mating flight and decided to hold up under there.   a possibility maybe?
If the bearding isn't happening for part of the day, then I'd doubt this to be the case.  If there was a cluster around a queen, they wouldn't disappear for the afternoon and reappear in the morning. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 09:50:54 pm »
It just seems to me that these bees ought to be out working the flowers in the early afternoon.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 03:10:35 am »
It just seems to me that these bees ought to be out working the flowers in the early afternoon.

I agree Bob, especially this time of year in my area....
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 08:12:35 am »
Bob,
At a bee college that I went to several years ago, an instructor studied this and came to the conclusion that the bees are holding back a reserve of field bees in case  there is some major disaster that kills the working field bees.
They may have more field bees than they have comb space to fill with nectar so the nurse bees are not asking the bearding field bees to get anything.
I would not bee surprised if they ended up swarming within a week. See my post above.
Na
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 07:44:39 am »
I also would not be surprised. I am still working on priming the pump for honey production, yet preventing swarming. I don't have it down yet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 09:59:00 am »
If it's cool out and they are bearding they are probably out of room.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything