Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: List Best Flowers For Bees  (Read 3559 times)

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
List Best Flowers For Bees
« on: February 22, 2022, 11:16:05 am »
Honey plants are of great importance in beekeeping. They can significantly contribute to stronger bee colonies and more economical beekeeping.
Beekeeping, Honey Bees, Bee Products, Habitat, Life Cycle: https://lifewithbees.com/

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
Re: List Best Flowers For Bees
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:23:26 am »
I will be the first to list some of the flowers that are ideal for bees. I ask everyone to get involved in this topic, honey plants are very important for our bees.

1. Phacelia ( One can collect 500-1,000 kg / ha of honey)
2. Lavender (Daily yields range up to 6 kg)
3. Sage (Sage is very resistant to long-term droughts).
Beekeeping, Honey Bees, Bee Products, Habitat, Life Cycle: https://lifewithbees.com/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 11:28:26 am »
BagziK please list your location in your profile, location is reverent to some discussions and my help in the future.

Thanks,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 12:10:28 pm »
BagziK please list your location in your profile, location is reverent to some discussions and my help in the future.

Thanks,

Phillip

Hi Phillip, Of course, I added the location. I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, it is a country in Europe. I don't know if you've ever heard for this country? It is a small country where beekeeping is very developed.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 12:24:28 pm »

Thanks,

Phillip

Hi Phillip, Of course, I added the location. I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, it is a country in Europe. I don't know if you've ever heard for this country? It is a small country where beekeeping is very developed.

Thanks you BagziK for updating your profile location. As you probably know, we have members from all over Europe and all over the World.  Thank you for joining us here at Beemaster!

Here in my State of Mississippi we have a vast amount of nectar and pollen producing plants. I once had a chart of top producing plants here which featured a time frame of the blooming periods of each. I will try to find it for you....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 01:01:06 pm »
I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, it is a country in Europe. I don't know if you've ever heard for this country? It is a small country where beekeeping is very developed.
Welcome to Beemaster, BagziK!  :happy:  I only know about Bosnia and Herzegovina from watching the Olympic Games and seeing athletes from your country.  It will be interesting to hear about beekeeping where you live! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 01:02:19 pm »
There is a useful book as reference:   The Hive and The Honeybee (THTH). In the newer editions of THTH, there are whole chapters and data tables describing the many plants and trees that the honeybees visit.  In the tables are indicators of whether each plant yields pollen or nectar, what season the plant yields, and how much.
Different plants also have different medicinal or therapeutic properties to the beehive. Just as in people.  Those properties are not covered in THTH.
While the tables mainly cover the americas, many many of the plants listed are also well distributed through Europe. 
Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 01:36:39 pm »

Thanks,

Phillip

Thanks you BagziK for updating your profile location. As you probably know, we have members from all over Europe and all over the World.  Thank you for joining us here at Beemaster!

Here in my State of Mississippi we have a vast amount of nectar and pollen producing plants. I once had a chart of top producing plants here which featured a time frame of the blooming periods of each. I will try to find it for you....

Phillip

Thanks a lot for the welcome! Yes, I saw that there are a lot of people from Europe. It would be great if you could find that chart, I believe most of these plants from chart can be grown in my state.

I do a lot of research on honey plants and I plant a lot of them, 5 years ago I planted a plantation of 450 hazelnut seedlings that produces large amounts of pollen. During this period, hazelnut begins to bloom and bees often visit it.

I almost did some research and wrote one article on my blog 20 Best Flowers For Bees: https://lifewithbees.com/20-best-flowers-for-bees-butterflies-and-other/, and these plants can be grown in many locations.

I have a great love for bees, so I started writing a blog about them.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 01:42:52 pm »
I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina, it is a country in Europe. I don't know if you've ever heard for this country? It is a small country where beekeeping is very developed.
Welcome to Beemaster, BagziK!  :happy:  I only know about Bosnia and Herzegovina from watching the Olympic Games and seeing athletes from your country.  It will be interesting to hear about beekeeping where you live!

Thanks a lot for the welcome!

Yes, Olympic Games are the most beautiful side of my country, but it is also known for the genocide that was committed in my country in 1995 Srebrenica , unfortunately.

Yes I will write a lot about beekeeping in my country. We have a large number of associations. There are many beekeepers, we produce large quantities of quality honey.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 01:48:57 pm »
There is a useful book as reference:   The Hive and The Honeybee (THTH). In the newer editions of THTH, there are whole chapters and data tables describing the many plants and trees that the honeybees visit.  In the tables are indicators of whether each plant yields pollen or nectar, what season the plant yields, and how much.
Different plants also have different medicinal or therapeutic properties to the beehive. Just as in people.  Those properties are not covered in THTH.
While the tables mainly cover the americas, many many of the plants listed are also well distributed through Europe. 
Hope that helps!

Could you send me a link for it book, I found a lot with that title so I'm not sure which one it is.

Do you mean this: https://www.amazon.com/Hive-Honey-Bee-Lorenzo-Langstroth/dp/1908904526

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 08:04:39 pm »
   Trees and bushes produce more nectar.. Then any ground crop per acre..   Bee Bee tree..    Produces nectar  when many other things do not...  Which happens about August where I live. This tree can grow in many parts of North America.. Including New England.. You are going to have to Google Bee Bee tree..
 To find the Latin name of this tree.. I know this week and grow from Maine to Florida..  I know if you do a search on.Beemaster
you will find this tree..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 11:43:06 pm »
Jim. An arborist and beekeeper named Mike Connor gave a very convincing talk about trees providing the main source of nectar for bees.
https://youtu.be/uI-i-aj34Vc
I plan on planting Linden trees (basswood), tree form American holly, Chaste tree (vitex), and sourwood.
As soon as I buy a house with some acreage.
Bagzik. I also look forward to your postings. Welcome to the forum.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 04:29:49 am »
   Trees and bushes produce more nectar.. Then any ground crop per acre..   Bee Bee tree..    Produces nectar  when many other things do not...  Which happens about August where I live. This tree can grow in many parts of North America.. Including New England.. You are going to have to Google Bee Bee tree..
 To find the Latin name of this tree.. I know this week and grow from Maine to Florida..  I know if you do a search on.Beemaster
you will find this tree..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

As I could find on google it is Tetradium daniellii or Evodia, can you check please, is it the same tree as yours? I also have Evodia that gives large amounts of nectar (bees visit flowers even when they fall from a tree)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 11:56:41 am »
Could you send me a link for it book, I found a lot with that title so I'm not sure which one it is.

Do you mean this: https://www.amazon.com/Hive-Honey-Bee-Lorenzo-Langstroth/dp/1908904526
The Hive and the Honey Bee was first released in 1853, but Dadant and Sons re-edits and rereleases a new edition of it every couple of years, which is why you are seeing so many editions of the book. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 06:39:10 pm »
The current, latest edition, is 2015.  You may find it at multiple online sources.  You may even find it in your local public libraries.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/books-subscriptions/books/beekeeping/m00010-hive-and-the-honeybee-new-edition

Regarding the forage plant tables I mentioned. You may be able to find excerpts of only those sections online. The information is in around pages 350 thru 450. Below are snapshots of a few pages I had scanned awhile ago. These are random pages shown for just as examples. Unfortunately the file size limitations of this site prevent uploading clearer resolutions. The extent and quality of content in all sections of this book are well worth the fair price that it is available at. It is an essential, perhaps even mandatory, reference that has to be on every serious beekeeper`s desk.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:11:03 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2022, 03:59:56 pm »

The Hive and the Honey Bee was first released in 1853, but Dadant and Sons re-edits and rereleases a new edition of it every couple of years, which is why you are seeing so many editions of the book.
Thank you very much,

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2022, 04:01:05 pm »
The current, latest edition, is 2015.  You may find it at multiple online sources.  You may even find it in your local public libraries.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/books-subscriptions/books/beekeeping/m00010-hive-and-the-honeybee-new-edition

Regarding the forage plant tables I mentioned. You may be able to find excerpts of only those sections online. The information is in around pages 350 thru 450. Below are snapshots of a few pages I had scanned awhile ago. These are random pages shown for just as examples. Unfortunately the file size limitations of this site prevent uploading clearer resolutions. The extent and quality of content in all sections of this book are well worth the fair price that it is available at. It is an essential, perhaps even mandatory, reference that has to be on every serious beekeeper`s desk.

Hope that helps!
Yes, This will be helpful.

Offline BagziK

• New Bee
    • Life with Bees
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »
Sunflowers - Without any prior knowledge, it can be said that sunflower is one of the best flowers for bees. Sunflower is the most important oil plant and one of the most important honey plants.

In the literature, it is most often mentioned that sunflower produces 40 kg of nectar and 80 kg of pollen per hectare. This amount depends on the grazing conditions. Collected honey can range from 10-15 kg / ha in bad conditions, to 50-80 kg / ha in good ones. Some sources state that sunflower can produce as much as 250 kg / ha of honey.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 05:23:38 pm »
This honeybee favorite flower, Gianticus Enormousosa, grows only in a certain spot in Seattle, Washington. I know it is bloom now, because I took this picture of it yesterday.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 08:23:28 am »
I have seen bees on sunflowers, but not if anything better was blooming.  I always assumed they were just there for the pollen when other sources were not available.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 12:27:24 pm »
I have same observations as Mr Bush. 
I have placed beehives right next to sunflower field.  30 meters away.   And I have watched the bees head in other directions to the clovers and alfalfas nearby.  Walking in the sunflower field blooms I have seen the flowers loaded up with bumblebees and other wild/native bees, then the occasional honey bee.  If I were to count I would likely come up with 200+ bumbles and other pollinators to one honeybee in the sunflowers.
Later when pulling honey off the hives there, the honey is high in the clover/alfalfa honey with some sunflower in it. An exquisite tasting blend!
By far the highest yields I have seen on hives equipped with scales, in good midsummer conditions is on CLOVERS:  red, alsike, sweet.  11.4-11.8 Kg  PER DAY ( 25 lbs per day).
Hope that helps!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 12:38:34 pm »
Differences could also be due to climate differences.  Maybe in a wet climate sunflowers produce a lot more nectar.  They don't seem to produce much here in Nebraska.  But that is just my observation with no objective measurements.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 07:40:42 pm »
I'm in Australia , Queesland.
Our valley has acres of White Clover in full bloom right now but very few bees working them.
I realise that nectar production depends on moisture, humidity, soils, temperature...you name it...BUT I can't find any information which actuallt says: x degrees C, y % humidity.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 08:17:22 am »
White Dutch clover?  White sweet clover?  White Ladino clover?  I don't know of anything that gives details of temp etc. but bees generally work whatever is the richest source of sugar that they found and continue to work that until it runs out.  So if they started working something else before the clover bloomed, they may keep working that until it runs out.  Then they will look for the richest thing around and start working that.
-------------------

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 12:58:18 pm »
I have found that around here it takes 2-3 weeks for the bees to start working the white clover.  Apparently there is other richer sources of nectar when the clover starts blooming.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 09:04:07 pm »
The only sunflowers I see my bees work hard are lemon queens when I plant them.  Bees will forage for the pollen, and they produce a lot.  I dont believe they get much or any nectar from them.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 12:30:05 am »
White Dutch clover?  White sweet clover?  White Ladino clover?  I don't know of anything that gives details of temp etc. but bees generally work whatever is the richest source of sugar that they found and continue to work that until it runs out.  So if they started working something else before the clover bloomed, they may keep working that until it runs out.  Then they will look for the richest thing around and start working that.

It is known here simply as " White Clover" Trifolium repens.

It may well perform better when the weather warms up a little more.
We do have a lot of flowers at the moment - plenty of distraction, one would think. What i have observed is that on many plants there are very few bees.

I wonder if trees like Tallowwood ( E. microcorys) or Blue Gum ( E. terreticoris) are putting energys into growth rather then nectar  due to the abundaces of rain earlier in the year?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2022, 01:11:48 am »
If that white clover is anything like what we have around here, it yields huge amounts.  However the conditions needed are:  cool nights with some dew and warm (but not hot) afternoons of 22 C - 28 C.  It shuts down when temperature gets high.  Also does not yield much until the afternoon and keeps flowing into the evening.  The bees are into the ditches and shrubs in the mornings but the afternoons are just a frenzy in the clover fields.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:33:34 am by TheHoneyPump »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2022, 02:15:19 am »
The HoneyPump - thanks.
This is useful information.
I will look at this in more detail.
It is raining here and we expect a wet day tomorrow - good for the Clover - and then back for a few sunny days.

We keep hoping.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2022, 07:24:57 am »
Trifolium repens=white dutch.  Melitotus albus= white sweetclover.  Ladino is also Trifolium repens, but it is much larger.
-------------------

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 08:00:15 am »
Hi Michael,
here it is known as " White Clover" or sometimes ' NZ White". Definitely NOT Ladino  - Ladino does not seem to be common in Australia.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 01:53:29 pm »
Another thing about white Dutch clover is that as soon as it is pollinated it goes to seed.
-------------------

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2022, 05:55:49 pm »
If that white clover is anything like what we have around here, it yields huge amounts.  However the conditions needed are:  cool nights with some dew and warm (but not hot) afternoons of 22 C - 28 C.  It shuts down when temperature gets high.  Also does not yield much until the afternoon and keeps flowing into the evening.  The bees are into the ditches and shrubs in the mornings but the afternoons are just a frenzy in the clover fields.

We are having exactly these conditions here right now.
I did notice more bees on the clover yesterday as I checked on the cattle. There is hope!!

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2022, 06:59:55 pm »
We have taken honey off commercial crop of sunflowers, honey was almost orange in color and the wax produced is a brilliant yellow. This was in mid summer when nothing else was around.