BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

How long have you been treatment free?

<< < (4/5) > >>

BagziK:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on February 22, 2022, 01:35:36 pm ---BagziK, I use oxalic also. I treat in December (a time of less brood in my location). I treat in early Spring as well.
Adding: When a new swarm is captured I will treat these new swarms after they have had time to establish themselves, 'before' capping of first brood.
Late July and August is a time of dearth here in my location most years, I will treat during that time period as well.

I am under the impression that Bob chooses not to treat and I respect his decisions. I look forward to more updates from him on his methods and results. I do not wish to stray too far from his Original Post. I had not heard of bees having their natural immunity destroyed by treatment. I found your statement of 'too much chemistry' interesting. Therefore I chimed in wondering where the line is drawn of what is too much and what chemicals may be the culprit of destroyed natural immunity systems from your understanding.... Maybe you can start a new topic, interesting topic, on the subject of too much chemistry and destroyed immune systems.  'You have my attention'. Thank you again.

Phillip

--- End quote ---

Yes, regarding bee immunity, I have heard from older beekeepers that if more chemical products are used, the bee becomes addicted to treatment. And after that, bees can hardly cope with mites and diseases on their own.

They concluded that after some follow-up.

BagziK:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on February 22, 2022, 01:35:36 pm ---BagziK, I use oxalic also. I treat in December (a time of less brood in my location). I treat in early Spring as well.
Adding: When a new swarm is captured I will treat these new swarms after they have had time to establish themselves, 'before' capping of first brood.
Late July and August is a time of dearth here in my location most years, I will treat during that time period as well.

I am under the impression that Bob chooses not to treat and I respect his decisions. I look forward to more updates from him on his methods and results. I do not wish to stray too far from his Original Post. I had not heard of bees having their natural immunity destroyed by treatment. I found your statement of 'too much chemistry' interesting. Therefore I chimed in wondering where the line is drawn of what is too much and what chemicals may be the culprit of destroyed natural immunity systems from your understanding.... Maybe you can start a new topic, interesting topic, on the subject of too much chemistry and destroyed immune systems.  'You have my attention'. Thank you again.

Phillip

--- End quote ---

I think that if two types of chemicals are used in one season, that's a lot. It should be combined one chemical product and one organic one, I do that and in the last 5 years I have lost only one beehive (this year, but my mistake, this Bee Colony was weak before winter).

One of my colleagues decided not to use chemical products for one year, he treated bees only with formic acid and lost a lot of bees.

That's why Bob is fascinating to me

Ben Framed:
According to research, one of the best times to use OAV is when bees are brood-less. Simply because OAV does not penetrate capped brood, therefore not being able to reach mites which may in the brood, underneath the caps. December is recognized as a good time, a favorite time to treat with OAV in accordance in my area. Similar can be said of late summer because of dearth in my area, for the same reason. Dearth is usually a time of less brood and a good time to treat with OAV leaving mites little place to 'hide'.

There is much which can be leaned here at Beemaster for the beekeeper, the search bar is a great place, whether that beekeeper is a beginner, intermediate and or well seasoned in various areas of beekeeping, (not only treating of mites). However for the last few post, (and please accept my apology Bob), we are talking primarly Oxalic Acid Vapor treating.

There are 'several topics' discussing the use of of OAV here, along with 'sources' included and provided many times, posted for backup. Sources including Scientist, Universities, and Bee Researchers, as well as individuals here at Beemaster doing their own personal research.. Including types of treatment, treatment schedules, treatment dosages, treatments during time of brood, etc.

So far I have never heard of any case of Immune problems caused by oxalic acid vapor in any research paper or otherwise. I would like to read that source or sources of papers if you have them available. It is a big world and research is a steady progress, still reveling many things, while there are many good things yet to be learned.

I also realize 'opinions' may vary from beekeeper to beekeeper, some stemming from myths while others from facts... A great asset of Beemaster is; Together we 'discuss and learn' sharing the two and hoping to separate the two, for the good of beekeeping, the beekeeper, and bees alike.
Very glad to have you here BagziK. Keep your good contagious enthusiasm coming!

Phillip

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on February 21, 2022, 09:59:06 pm ---HoneyPump,
Ha! I count #9, dumb, blind luck as a major factor also.
In fact I agree with your other two choices also. I plan on brood breaks again this year, and introducing some more feral stock. This is year 4 for me in your timeline. We shall see what it brings.

--- End quote ---

Cao has had some pretty good fortune with TF... Location maybe? Maybe adding number 10 to your list; Location?
'I don't know'. lol

Phillip

Bill Murray:
Im going to say I believe in my heart it all has to do with the region in which you live. That being said you must have a broodbreak to keep the mite level down or treat. I can keep a hive of bees here in N. fla Appox. 3 years treatment free, without forcing a broodbreak. Same if I treat with oa. Now Im not treating every 3 days. With that all being said, I used to make a broodbreak in all my hives. I havnt done that for 2 yrs and I see the problem with that. This year I am working on splits raising there own queencells above a double screen bottom board, make the bottoms queenless, install cells. We shall see. I think this will be less time consuming than grafting. Also 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version