BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

How long have you been treatment free?

<< < (3/5) > >>

BagziK:
Also, I think that when treating bees, we should force natural preparations, when we decide on treatment.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: BagziK on February 22, 2022, 10:51:38 am ---Hi Bob, What you're doing is really fascinating. I agree that introducing too much chemistry is not good for bees and their lives. This destroys their natural immunity.

--- End quote ---

Bagzik I agree that 'too much' chemistry may kill anything lol...What is your description of too much chemistry in honey bee treatment?

Thanks,

Phillip

BagziK:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on February 22, 2022, 11:00:04 am ---
--- Quote from: BagziK on February 22, 2022, 10:51:38 am ---Hi Bob, What you're doing is really fascinating. I agree that introducing too much chemistry is not good for bees and their lives. This destroys their natural immunity.

--- End quote ---

Bagzik I agree that 'too much' chemistry may kill anything lol...What is your description of too much chemistry in honey bee treatment?

Thanks,

Phillip

--- End quote ---

I know some beekeepers who use chemicals throughout the season, I think that's too much. For example: At our location, the use of thyme tea has been shown to help treat Varroa mites.

So, during August, we feed the bees a couple of times with a mixture of honey and thyme tea, or add thyme tea in sugar syrup (free choice). This has proven to be very effective in our country, for fight against mites.

Of course, it is best to collect thyme yourself and make tea, so that it is not purchased tea.

In addition to thyme, nettle proved to be excellent for fighting mites.

In addition, I use the organic product Oxalic acid in November.

Ben Framed:
BagziK, I use oxalic also. I treat in December (a time of less brood in my location). I treat in early Spring as well.
Adding: When a new swarm is captured I will treat these new swarms after they have had time to establish themselves, 'before' capping of first brood.
Late July and August is a time of dearth here in my location most years, I will treat during that time period as well.

I am under the impression that Bob chooses not to treat and I respect his decisions. I look forward to more updates from him on his methods and results. I do not wish to stray too far from his Original Post. I had not heard of bees having their natural immunity destroyed by treatment. I found your statement of 'too much chemistry' interesting. Therefore I chimed in wondering where the line is drawn of what is too much and what chemicals may be the culprit of destroyed natural immunity systems from your understanding.... Maybe you can start a new topic, interesting topic, on the subject of too much chemistry and destroyed immune systems.  'You have my attention'. Thank you again.

Phillip

BagziK:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on February 22, 2022, 01:35:36 pm ---BagziK, I use oxalic also. I treat in December (a time of less brood in my location). I treat in early Spring as well.
Adding: When a new swarm is captured I will treat these new swarms after they have had time to establish themselves, 'before' capping of first brood.
Late July and August is a time of dearth here in my location most years, I will treat during that time period as well.

I am under the impression that Bob chooses not to treat and I respect his decisions. I look forward to more updates from him on his methods and results. I do not wish to stray too far from his Original Post. I had not heard of bees having their natural immunity destroyed by treatment. I found your statement of 'too much chemistry' interesting. Therefore I chimed in wondering where the line is drawn of what is too much and what chemicals may be the culprit of destroyed natural immunity systems from your understanding.... Maybe you can start a new topic, interesting topic, on the subject of too much chemistry and destroyed immune systems.  'You have my attention'. Thank you again.

Phillip

--- End quote ---

Ben, also, sometimes I use oxalic in December, everything depends on the weather conditions, and I make sure that there are no brood if possible.

I will also follow the information from Bob.

When you start the treatment in the spring, I haven't done it before, is it when the pollen intake starts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version