BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Mite Bomb / co-operation well presented videos

<< < (2/8) > >>

William Bagwell:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 10, 2020, 11:52:52 pm ---
Wow William, Is it really that bad at other Forums? Relax and welcome to beemaster..   :grin:

--- End quote ---

Not on the ones I post to but there are inconsistencies in they way thermal is tolerated verses the organic acids. Those have been around much longer and are accepted as a necessary evil. Mention thermal and someone will always pipe up and remind you that it is in fact a treatment. Duh. Knew that before I spent my money.

For me, true chemical free is an achievable goal even for a newbie. Total TF is much harder but an even more important long term goal. Believe thermal is the current best 'crutch' to get there for those lacking the finances to go full bond. Now if I had Bill Gates money I could hire Michael Bush to set me up a 1,000 hive yard and give it a try :wink:

Not even fired mine up yet and could not treat every hive if I did. Only have a single ten frame unit so the two nucs would be very difficult to treat with it. Also have two top bars and a Warre (recently bought from someone moving out of state) that are impossible. Even if I had a narrow five frame unit the top bars would require extensive modification. BTW production of MMK is currently on hold due to supply chain issues and once it resumes only eights and tens will be produced. No new fives for a long time.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: William Bagwell on August 12, 2020, 07:50:32 am ---
--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 10, 2020, 11:52:52 pm ---
Wow William, Is it really that bad at other Forums? Relax and welcome to beemaster..   :grin:

--- End quote ---

Not on the ones I post to but there are inconsistencies in they way thermal is tolerated verses the organic acids. Those have been around much longer and are accepted as a necessary evil. Mention thermal and someone will always pipe up and remind you that it is in fact a treatment. Duh. Knew that before I spent my money.

For me, true chemical free is an achievable goal even for a newbie. Total TF is much harder but an even more important long term goal. Believe thermal is the current best 'crutch' to get there for those lacking the finances to go full bond. Now if I had Bill Gates money I could hire Michael Bush to set me up a 1,000 hive yard and give it a try :wink:

Not even fired mine up yet and could not treat every hive if I did. Only have a single ten frame unit so the two nucs would be very difficult to treat with it. Also have two top bars and a Warre (recently bought from someone moving out of state) that are impossible. Even if I had a narrow five frame unit the top bars would require extensive modification. BTW production of MMK is currently on hold due to supply chain issues and once it resumes only eights and tens will be produced. No new fives for a long time.

--- End quote ---

Thanks William, Mr Bush is a nice fellow, he will help you with advice freely! 😬 I would think a beekeeper would be open minded to the possibility of organic treatments as you mentioned. I suppose some are not, even though Organic is a powerful word!😬Pesticide free!

You mentioned organic and that has to be a good thing as opposed to the choice of losing a hive or in extreme cases, many hives to mites whether by direct kill or by the killing of the viruses they carry. I, like you, like the idea of thermal. What can possibly be more natural than that as an aid to helping our bees?  Mr Live Oak, whom I have great respect, has talked of thermal here. His drawback was, if I remember correctly, is time of treatment. I made some suggestions to him as to how make it more productive. I have not heard back from him on this, but I really think my theory was a good plan for a person that is interested in going that route. I suppose that has been at least a year ago.

I do not think folks will bash you here for you idea of your good method (thermal), at least they should not in my opinion.

charentejohn:
I did think TF was a natural as you can get, must have misunderstood.  Organic is abit more wide ranging.
Nothing will ever be interference free but I will try to be as hands off as I can.
I think (not sure) Scot's view, not being a 'bee hugger' like myself, is that babying them is just wasting time and money commercially as if you replace failed ones they will sort themselves out. You have to cost in the chemicals and the amount of time spent inspecting and treating, especially in a large operation as they can obviosly function without any of that.   

What is the thermal system as I have only seen the expensive boxes people put brood frames in to heat them up.  Also read they are still trying to determine if the heat affects brood health long term but as ever inconclusive.

Ben Framed:
"I did think TF was a natural as you can get, must have misunderstood." 

Yes, you must have misunderstood. TF is as natural as you can get. I am all for you and TF if this is you desire.
As I said before, this is not just a treatment free heading alone.

NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS
methods being plural. 

As I said to William,
"I, like you, like the idea of thermal. What can possibly be more natural than that as an aid to helping our bees? "
The question is how effective is thermal? I do not know.

.

charentejohn:
I think I see where all the posts saying this is not a TF section came from, wondered why the cosntant references, because I said good to find a TF section.
I think a lot was read into that but I suppose I should have said section where I can discuss TF as an option.  Not many places you can do that as the full on treatment people tend to chip in a lot.  Just good to be able to discuss outcomes and options of TF and have people just say what they do or prefer rather than saying it is wrong stop it now.

I will make sure to be clearer in future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version