BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Controversial comment by Jennifer Berry

<< < (26/26)

Humanbeeing:

--- Quote from: Humanbeeing on March 04, 2011, 02:41:31 am ---First time I watched the videos of Dee Lusby working her bees, I knew they were Africanized. Dean Stiglitz seems to be beside himself and Ramona appeared just a bit nervous. It may have happened so gradually, that Dee didn't notice. All the same though, she does a fantastic job with them, so take notes. We may all be working Africanized bees some day.
It's all mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

--- End quote ---

11 years ago I posted this and boy did I get some flack! I?ve been in Arizona for quite some time now and the truth is, a huge percentage of the bees here are AHB. Just last week I removed a full on AHB from a gully in the desert. All I have are AHB. They are superb bees and bee yards 20 miles from the nearest town are cheap to buy! I wonder how Dee Lusby keeps those genetics away from her bees?

Ben Framed:
Humanbeeing I was not here 11 years ago but I am glad to see you posting now! I would like to hear more of you experiences and adventures of AHB beekeeping! I have a friend in Arizona but he not a beekeeper..

Phillip

Bob Wilson:
Kathy made a good argument about the genetics of the bees being the main issue rather than small cell.
I don't know about African genes being the issue, because it seems very doubtful that successful northern treatment free beekeepers like Micael Bush in Nebraska have africanized bees.
I am sure I don't. But mine are from feral, local stock on foundationless frames, not small cell.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Humanbeeing on April 04, 2022, 06:50:40 pm ---
 All I have are AHB.

--- End quote ---
The genetics are not acceptable for commercial applications where people in agriculture would get badly stung.  They are not good genetics for villages or places near the general public.  Most states have requirement to exterminate them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version