Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Multi-species grazing  (Read 1345 times)

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
Multi-species grazing
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:51:34 am »
When the wife and I recently bought our country place our plan was to graze multiple species (various ruminants and fowl).  I'm still building the fence so no livestock yet.  However, since adding beekeeping to the mix this spring, I'm beginning to look at my pastures a bit differently.  So far this year I had a pasture-full of bee blossom give way to gaillardia which is now giving way to horse mint, thistle and American basket flower, all rather thick.  Suddenly I'm thinking that I don't want to do a spring mowing, or let sheep and goats out there (though I'm not sure how palatable the wildflowers are to these critters).
Anybody else include bees in a multi-species grazing system?  What sort of timing do you use to maximize forage for both bee and beast?

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
Re: Multi-species grazing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:38:06 am »
Cows prefer to munch on grasses. Goats prefer browse (trees and shrubs) and broad leaf plants, and are quite fond of thistle. Sheep eat both grasses and herbaceous plants.

Letting things bloom is a good idea. Also, keep the total grazing pressure low.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Multi-species grazing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:35 am »
Don't know how much acreage you have but even a couple of acres can be cross fenced and pastures rotated with sheep, goats, and miniture cattle.  I'm in the process of building a new chicken yard and coop.  The coop will be in the center with a 20'X30' chicken yard on each side.  I'll be rotating the yards, letting the grass and weeds grow on one side while they dig and dust in the other.  I have about 3/4 acre of pasture and, when finished fencing, have it divided into 3 pastures. 
Paasture rotation lets foul or beast graze well and also lets the pastures recoup with clover and weeds blooming, then turning the livestock onto the pasture.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything