Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee sting variance  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
Bee sting variance
« on: June 29, 2020, 02:04:23 pm »
I have a very limited amount of personal bee stings, so this might be totally coincidental, but I was wondering whether you all have noticed different hives having different sting intensities. My first sting made my entire foot swell up and it came from one of my own hives. Later I received 4 stings while helping another beekeeper and all of those did nothing more than minor local swelling. Then I was stung again by my hive the other day and it made my entire hand swell up and I ended up getting a fever that lasted several hours. Could it be that my bees have a much more potent venom? Or is this just pure coincidence?

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
Re: Bee sting variance
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 02:52:44 pm »
I've taken a few stings this year, most have been hardly noticeable but one I got on my lower belly got huge and red and hurt a LOT.  That one was because it took a few seconds for me to get at it and the stinger was pulsing more venom into me that I think the other stings I got so your reactions could be related to how much of the venom got into you per sting.  Different areas of the body may be more sensitive, too.

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:03:27 pm »
Well what really got me thinking about this was the fact that both those variable you mentioned were removed by two stings in the first days. I was stung in the foot and the stinger was not in my foot for any length of time and it swelled up terribly, but then later I was stung in almost the exact same spot in the other foot and it did not swell up. I took a picture of my feet with both stings and one looks like a terrible reaction and the other looks like a puny mosquito. So I do not think it is because of location and length of venom time. Maybe my body just overreacts to the first sting I received in a day and every other one is overlooked.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 08:30:21 pm »
Well what really got me thinking about this was the fact that both those variable you mentioned were removed by two stings in the first days. I was stung in the foot and the stinger was not in my foot for any length of time and it swelled up terribly, but then later I was stung in almost the exact same spot in the other foot and it did not swell up. I took a picture of my feet with both stings and one looks like a terrible reaction and the other looks like a puny mosquito. So I do not think it is because of location and length of venom time. Maybe my body just overreacts to the first sting I received in a day and every other one is overlooked.
I wonder if the fact that you were stung in a similar area twice and the second time didn't react was due to the fact that the antibodies that neutralize the venom were already present at that location.  Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason though.  I swell up like crazy every time, and I also got a fever from multiple stings once, but yesterday I got stung on the tip of the finger and I had almost no reaction.  *Shrug.* 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:35:04 pm »
I'm in my hives a lot and get stung plenty.  No two people react the same and no two stings are the same.  Most times 30 seconds later I don't know where the sting was and then on rare occasions like last weekend I got a sting that was bleeding.  Some bees just seem to be more effective at delivering the defense.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:33:00 am »
I don't think that it's the differences in the hives that matter so much as the difference in individuals.  No 2 hives are the same, no 2 bees are the same, no 2 beeks are the same, and no 2 stings are the same, no 2 sting reactions are the same.

I got stung on my left wrist several times in the past few weeks with little swelling.  It is my most common sting location for some reason.  Last nights sting there actually swelled up overnight enough that I had to loosen up my wristwatch this morning. 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:59:14 am »
That is probably what it is. I just need to get stung more to realize that it is not the pattern I think it is. Should I be concerned that it only took one sting to cause me to have a fever?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:48:06 pm »
That is probably what it is. I just need to get stung more to realize that it is not the pattern I think it is. Should I be concerned that it only took one sting to cause me to have a fever?
As I mentioned, I got a fever from a couple of stings once, which is apparently unusual.  It had me worried as well.  It has never happened to me again though, so unless you notice some sort of pattern forming, or, of course, anaphylactic reactions, I wouldn't be concerned about it.  Here's my thread about my fever reaction if you'd like to peruse it.  https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51456.msg455312#msg455312
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 07:14:35 pm »
Good point here.  For over sixty years I have been stung and I do not have a pattern.  I do not react according to the text books.  Sometimes I react locally with swelling and intense itch whereas other times there is no reaction.  I took six stings, same time, same hive and 5 stings were unremarkable while one sting on my ankle was massive swelling and very painful?  I think the stinger hit the bone in the ankle but cannot be sure.  Go figure?  DYNAMIC reaction to stings is my best definition as stated by Hops and Member in more detail.

Hands feet and face are reactor areas for most folks.  Generally speaking the more stings the less the reaction as one becomes immune according to the books on immunology.  Shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing is major cause for concern, not so much pain, redness nor swelling: generally speaking not absolute.

I do have prednisone, RX, if I have a reaction.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 11:03:42 pm »
I've noticed a big differences in stings, sometimes they are a mild with little swelling while others swell up and itch a lot longer. From what I've noticed the bad stings are from the more aggressive guard bees. Of course some hives are hotter than others and will sting more. Sting placement and length are the main factor. If you get the stinger planted in an arm it will swell up more than a light hit through a Tee shirt.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 11:46:25 am »
Your skin is covered in bacteria and other things, so is the bee.  If the sting punctures a blood vessel it is a good opportunity for microbes to be introduced to the body.  A mild fever from even 1 sting is possible, or 1 sting out of several, but shouldn't be too severe or long lasting.  an aspirin works for me.

If you get a high fever from any cause, see a doctor.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 12:40:06 pm »
Quoting Vikingcnp From an older post. This Advice along with Sawdustmkr (Jim) got me over the hump.  I rarely have a reaction now that I receive stings VERY regularly. Zantac is no longer avaible over the counter, I do not know if it is available with a prescription? I hope this helps.

{Offline Vikingcnp New Bee}

Re: Went into anaphylaxis yesterday- what now?
? Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 04:08:59 pm ?

> I am not practicing outside of my scope. I am a nurse practitioner but not in primary care.

Always have Benadryl with you. Personally I would take a 25mg dose about 15 minutes before starting work on the hives.

Always have Zantac with you. If you are stung you can take Zantac along with another Benadryl as it is an H2 blocker.

Zantac and Benadryl are evidence based approaches to preventing the histamine cascade.

This is a trick I learned from an ER doc in the reserves.

Your going through desensitization and having an epi pen is a smart move.

Wishing you the best.<
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Leoj900

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 11:23:41 am »
Thank you all for your input. I am going to try out some Benadryl and see if i have improved results with stings. I do believe that bee stings are going to be beneficial to me in many ways.