Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queens MIA  (Read 2708 times)

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Queens MIA
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:02:10 am »
For the life of me I cannot figure out what is happening to my queens. I order them clipped and marked. I have had 8 hives this year and I am  down to five. Two of them have very very small bee populations - ball about the size of an orange. I cannot find the queens in those hives. I have ordered queens from two reputable companies. The ferel queen and ones I have ordered from one company do well. THe other queens (3) have just disappeared. Is this common? Could it be the supplier? They just disappear. Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Queens MIA
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:30:52 pm »
What was the situation when you requeened them?  How long were they queenless?  Were there laying workers?  Were they hot?  Did you see eggs afterwards?  There are many techniques to improve acceptance of a queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Queens MIA
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:41:16 am »
I have heard from my supplier that marking or clipping can cause the workers to think there is something wrong with the queen and they may not accept her or may supersede her.  

I don't know if that is true. . . I know finsky clips and plenty of people mark with no problems. . .  has anyone else heard that?

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
Queens MIA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 08:10:50 pm »
I worked splits this summer. I introduced three queens, two just never laid and I had to eventually combine their colonies. The last one seemed to be doing well and laid into the fall. Suddenly she is gone. The same is true for the other two queens - just gone. Curiously they are all from the same supplier.

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
Queens MIA
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:16:39 pm »
I have not experienced a problem with laying workers (multiple eggs in a cell or eggs without a queen).
As far as I can tell the queens seemed to be accepted even though they were clipped and marked. THe queens in the other hives are clipped and marked as well.
Women. Who can figure?
All I can think of is that I got a bad batch from a reputable supplier.

I am open to a more plausable theory.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Queens MIA
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 09:09:44 pm »
If they aren't laying that's one thing.  And this time of year I would not expect them to be laying.  If they are not accepted that's another thing.  If they are spotty brood patterns that's another thing.  The queen breeder can't help acceptance.  But they should be able to provide good fertile queens most of the time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Queens MIA
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 09:11:08 pm »
Also, yes I've heard of them superceding clipped queens.  I've never seen any difference myself.  Of course if they try to swarm you'll lose them because they can't fly off nor back into the hive.
-------------------