Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A few questions for a newby?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
A few questions for a newby?
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:09:08 am »
Howdy folk's,  I've read how hard it is to move hives especially if it's just a short way(around the yard). I have 3 acres on the north side of a mountain,some is full shade some is full light and some is dappled or mostly morning light. I've picked a couple of places. One gets good to dappled morning light  while mostly dappled to shaded in the afternoon it is in my front yard about 50yds east of my house and 50 yds west of a 2 lane highway that gets alot of traffic.
  Another spot is appx. 40 yds behind my house with full sun till late in the evening. Good part is it's 2 miles to the next road west of me and that is a dirt road. My worry with this one is it gets real hot here in the summer and with little or no shade it may be bad for them. Any recommendations?

Also I live in an area that is all assorted hard woods, creek bottoms and the only openings are cow pastures. I've heard it would not make good forage for the bees. Is this true?

Also for the bees would it be preferable to put the 2 hives together or on separate sides of the property? Of course for me it would be best if they were close.

This and anything else you would recommend for a newbie just setting up his first hives would be appreciated. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: a few questions for a newby?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:19:42 am »
>>>>Another spot is appx. 40 yds behind my house with full sun till late in the evening. <<<<

You couldn't get any better if you landscaped the area yourself. Don't worry about heat, just be sure they have a water source within a quarter mile.

Put them together, just far enough apart that you can work comfortably between them. Approx. 4 feet, but precisely to your liking.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:17 am »
>>>>Another spot is appx. 40 yds behind my house with full sun till late in the evening. <<<<

You couldn't get any better if you landscaped the area yourself. Don't worry about heat, just be sure they have a water source within a quarter mile.

Put them together, just far enough apart that you can work comfortably between them. Approx. 4 feet, but precisely to your liking.

My sentiments exactly as Iddee's.

Seal them up and move them late evening or early morning before daylight and place an obstacle like a branch in front of the hives so they will be forced to reorient to the new location, which they will do, just fine.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:23:48 am »
Screened bottom boards in the hotest part of the yard . Bees love heat . They cap the honey faster , start brooding earlier (with substitute polen and 1 to 1 sugar watter ) , and hive beatles don't like hot hives . In real hot times 100+ make sure they have watter .

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »
Thank's fellas, I'm glad I posted because I was going with the dappled shade. Why are hardwood  areas not as productive forage? I do have several cattle and horse pastures within a mile or so of the house. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:51 pm »
I'd go for full sun if you can.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin