Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lots of Yellowjackets  (Read 2634 times)

Offline bizzybeehoney

• New Bee
Lots of Yellowjackets
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:00:01 pm »
Over the last month I have noticed a lot of Yellowjackets hanging around the bee hives.  At times I have seen them try and get into my hive, but the bees keep them out.  I decided to do something about them.

I took soapy water in a spray bottle and now each time I walk out to the bee hives, I spray down the Yellowjackets.  The soapy water kills them quickly.  And now poisonous residue to harm the bees.  I make sure I don't spray any of  the bees.

So if anybody is having trouble with Yellowjackets, try the soapy water.  I don't know if I can kill them all, but I have been attacked by them while mowing my yard once, got stung over 20 times.  Now it is good to watch the croak!

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Lots of Yellowjackets
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:34:55 pm »
I just put on my gloves and smash them between thumb and forefinger.  It has little impact on their numbers, but it is still satisfying.

I always find yellowjackets and bald-faced hornets around the fringes in my weaker hives, helping themselves.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:42:06 pm »
I just put on my gloves and smash them between thumb and forefinger.  It has little impact on their numbers, but it is still satisfying.

I always find yellowjackets and bald-faced hornets around the fringes in my weaker hives, helping themselves.

Same here. Mashing them is SO SATISFYING!! 
Made the "Two Liter Soft Drink Trap" filled 1/2 full of Apple Cider/Sugar Water. Killed about twenty the first day.

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:35:14 pm »
I was plagued by them and my hubby took drastic measures and hunted down the hive. You can follow them and pretty easily find the nest. It was in the open meadows and was just a hole in the ground (they often use old mouse nests) but while all the grasses around here are dead the entrance was GREEN. The moisture from their activities was enough to keep the grass alive. Very interesting...  We went for the pint of gasoline poured into the nest and sealed over with dirt. I also have many disposable water based traps that work awesome. There are a few different ways to eliminate them, a quick google search will turn up some of the best. Remember, if you use fuel - don't light it! It is the fumes that kill them. The reduction in yellow jacket traffic,and robbing was immediate.

Look at what they did to my grapes last year! Maybe now this year won't be so bad, i hate those buggers. Did you know they are considered beneficial? Psh!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:16 pm »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:46:53 pm »
What??, pour flamable liquid onto yellow jackets & not light it??? :shock:  What's the fun in that??? :evil:  I'd like to watch em crisp! I do like smushing em too, it makes a satisfying crunch!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:27 pm »
Light it just before dark and watch the ones coming home catch their wings on fire and crash and burn--awesome!!!  Oh yea, I have an environmental degree too.  Really, I do.  fire, fire!  It still satisfies!! 
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:34:45 pm »
Now that's entertainment!!  My Brother & I shot flaming wd40 one time, hornets & nest go "poof"!!  Ahhh, good times!  ;)  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

anything