Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using Dadant and Betterbee hive parts together? - Do they fit?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
I've had inconsistencies of hive parts with Kelly Bees parts and Dadant....

Right now, Dadant is still shipping a month out due to Covid.  Betterbee is promising 3 day processing of orders.  Sounds good, but I don't want permanent hassles because of wanting it right away.

Does anyone know of hive parts not fitting well between Dadant/Betterbee?  Thanks.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Using Dadant and Betterbee hive parts together? - Do they fit?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:40:18 pm »
Kelly's is owned by Mann Lake so their frames are the same now.  They used to not match up very well.  I ordered frames from western bee and they came in a dadant box so I assume they are somehow tied together.   Miller bee was my last order.  They make their own and are of good quality but I don't how they match up with the others.   They look like they match up with western bee pretty good.  I don't know about betterbee.  Haven't ordered from them yet, but from the pictures the look like the old Kelly frames.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 12:43:44 am »
Well fortunately my frames and hive bodies are matching up, most are Dadant.   If random vintage frames don?t have the right depth to create bee space, I added a thin shim on the rabbetted edge in the hive body. 

I find inner lids to be a real hassle to fabricate, but if a different brand  ends up being too tight under a telescoping outer cover...even more of a hassle.

Betterbee is the least expensive place I?ve found for a finger-jointed 5 frame nuc. Unless someone knows of another.   Just not interested in plywood which is good for about 8-10 weeks in the local climate.  I used to think Seattle was the mold capitol of the world...now for sure I know it?s Florida.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:27:34 am by FloridaGardener »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:32:11 am »
I have only purchased equipment from Betterbee.  They have had more then one supplier so their millwork has had variation.  You would think beekeeping being  so old there would be an exact standard but there isn't.  It has always been a cottage industry with suppliers still trying to build a better mouse trap.  Interchangeability will always be a problem with out an exact standard on parts.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:00:39 pm »
I have always ordered from Betterbee... I have frame parts that don't fit together from various orders over the years. in particular the tops of the ears fitting into the frame tops. Currently, their parts come from Humble Abodes.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 08:00:19 pm »
Five years out of date, just frames not boxes and on a rival site  :shocked: But informative and very well done. Likely a ton of work involved...

https://beesource.com/product-reviews/wood-frames-for-the-langstroth-hive/

Scroll down or search for "Mix and match:" for an explanation of top and bottom space and which are compatible with which.

Humble Abodes is not mentioned except down in the comment section. Looks to me that the frames Betterbee was selling five years ago were identical to what I have purchased in the past year. Love the smooth finish and 'slick' feel of BB frames compared to Dadant frames (only two I have used) Prefer BB for foundation-less since it is easy to glue pop cycle sticks in. Prefer Dadant frames for foundation (wax or waxed plastic) as it easy to get them in the wider grooves.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 08:56:15 am »
Prefer Dadant frames for foundation (wax or waxed plastic) as it easy to get them in the wider grooves.
You see, this is my point.  Why are there variations in the groove width?  To me it is bazaar that an industry so old doesn't have a standard for equipment.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it