Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dont think queen made it, update!!!  (Read 1174 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
dont think queen made it, update!!!
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:12:41 pm »
So, my mentor let me down once again so its me and you. You have been alot of help and I have not seen the frames for two weeks. So I inspected today. The two queen cells are gone and they are building comb on number 3 and 7 with some filled with either nectar or syrup or both. The number 6 frame has all stages of brood :) I see little eggs in the center and larvae curled in a u shape and even capped all near each other. This is on both sides of the frame. I am so glad to finally see eggs. I still could not pick out the queen though. Maybe next time.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: dont think queen made it, update!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »
I always like to see her but if I see eggs or very small larvae I don't look very hard. As soon as I see one or the other I close it up and move to the next one.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:49:03 pm »
I haven't seen my queen since she was let loose 5 weeks ago. Frame after frame after frame of brood is all I need to see to know she's doing well.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 09:09:21 pm »
I agree with the eggs and brood thing. However, I like the warm and fuzzy you get when you see her.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:55 pm »
As a pretty new beek myself, I had trouble spotting the queen. BUT once I did see her, it has been much easier finding her since.
I went the whole first year looking without luck :oops:
But as long as I saw young brood I didn't let it worry me. I still have a hard time seeing eggs. But, with time comes experience and knowing where and when to look.
Good luck with your bees.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:19:15 am »
hjohn. For me it takes some direct sunlight and moving the frame around in different positions. If that don't work; another great thing is the jewelers visors. They make finding eggs easy.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything