Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter Bees  (Read 2273 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
Winter Bees
« on: January 22, 2020, 04:57:22 pm »
Don't know what to think of this.  It's January 22!

https://youtu.be/0ZvwW3VoT-U
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Winter Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 07:05:09 pm »
Cool, bees coming and going.  Maybe orientation flights.  The bees seam to venture further from the hive for typical orientation flights, but I do see some circulation of the bees in the air.  But I see no problems.

Is the tarp, hive cover, new?  This would cause some confusion and re-orientation.
Blessings
Van

Add: thanks for the video, so nice to see flying bees.  My bees are tucked in, currently 34F and not warming until next week.  So I enjoyed watching your bees!!!  Good video, in the future please focus more on the entrance.  The entrance tells all.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:15:40 pm »
Cool, bees coming and going.  Maybe orientation flights.  The bees seam to venture further from the hive for typical orientation flights, but I do see some circulation of the bees in the air.  But I see no problems.

Is the tarp, hive cover, new?  This would cause some confusion and re-orientation.
Blessings
Van

Add: thanks for the video, so nice to see flying bees.  My bees are tucked in, currently 34F and not warming until next week.  So I enjoyed watching your bees!!!  Good video, in the future please focus more on the entrance.  The entrance tells all.

Yes, orientation flights and possible robbing attempts at the entrance.

But my entrance is small, 3/8 x 4 inches.

The two wool Army blankets and trash bag cover have been on for a while.

This was an 8-frame deep and medium full of bees and honey when I put them to sleep.

But they are not asleep!

Should I worry?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:11:44 am »
Well I am going to assume that this occurred during flying temps and this is called a relief dump.  Very common in places that have January thaws.  Good news for the beekeeper because this helps the hive get through winter without nosema.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 10:29:56 am »
Well I am going to assume that this occurred during flying temps and this is called a relief dump.  Very common in places that have January thaws.  Good news for the beekeeper because this helps the hive get through winter without nosema.

Oh, okay.  Thanks, Brian!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 11:19:06 am »
Father,
My bet is your bees found a good maple source and are taking advantage of it.
I would not worry.
If it was robbing the robbing bees would be all over the box.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:59:32 pm »
Father,
I would not worry.
Jim Altmiller

Maple?

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 01:05:46 pm »
Father,
I would not worry.
Jim Altmiller

Jim, I don?t think there is natural maple in that part of Texas. Could be an individual planted one.  Kinda hot and dry in summer.  Mesquite is probably the main tree in that area.  My favorite smoking bbq wood.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 01:38:43 pm »
Father,
I would not worry.
Jim Altmiller

Jim, I don?t think there is natural maple in that part of Texas. Could be an individual planted one.  Kinda hot and dry in summer.  Mesquite is probably the main tree in that area.  My favorite smoking bbq wood.
Blessings

Yes, people have maple in their yards.  I doubt any are blooming.  It is just now winter here, though very mild.

I'll drive around the neighborhood to see what's going on.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 09:14:08 pm »
Nothing big happening with trees or bushes but I went for a close look at the bees coming in from their flights and saw these in the yard in front of the hive.

Can't imagine they'd get much from them but you know bees, right?

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:40 pm »
My bees were going crazy this afternoon. I thought there was a robbing frenzy going on, but when I looked closely, I saw no dead bees on the ground, and although they were wrestling in and out the entrance, I think it was highway congestion and orientation flights.
The picture doesn't do justice.
What are the formats and file limits for posting a video off my cell phone? What is a decent free video converter?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 02:59:13 am »
Don't know what to think of this.  It's January 22!

https://youtu.be/0ZvwW3VoT-U

Orientation flight.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 09:03:00 am »
Ah figured it out.
My number one son helped me.
Here is my first video.
I believe this is mass conjestion from orientation flight and not robbery. Just a little before this, they were more frenzied, fighting all over each other. 10 minutes later, the entrance was back down to just normal traffic.
Here is the link...
https://youtu.be/9KJpOMQet74

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »
Ah figured it out.
My number one son helped me.
Here is my first video.
I believe this is mass conjestion from orientation flight and not robbery. Just a little before this, they were more frenzied, fighting all over each other. 10 minutes later, the entrance was back down to just normal traffic.
Here is the link...

Great video, Bob!

Yes, that is what mine were doing.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 03:01:23 pm »
Yup - mine are going crazy today also. Orientation flights. I enjoy watching them up close.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 05:03:24 pm »
Today: sunshine, calm and 47F high.   Nice to see bees flying.  Previous week: snow, sleet, rain, ice and cloudy with a high 38F.  So this day my bees are pouring out of the hives for the first time in over a week.  As stated the bees have been clustered for over a week, maybe two weeks, so much constant cold I lost tract.  Really nice to see the sunshine and bees flying.

anything