Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building My Own Equipment as an ABSOLUTE Beginner  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Building My Own Equipment as an ABSOLUTE Beginner
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 01:37:16 pm »
Member, If you want to go ahead with your box building, considering the equipment I would deem necessary to make it easy on yourself, there are three things I would recommend but not required.  Now before I recommend these three, take into consideration their is more than one way to skim a cat lol.  I use a sliding miter saw for a precise length of each board and a perfect straight cut.  Both end and sideI board. I use a router table to cut out a perfect frame rest for the ends. I also use  the router table for the joint cuts In order to join my boxes together. A table saw for o perfect ripping the boards down to their proper depths.  For the recessed box handles, I use a radial arm saw. This set up is for my convenience and (assembly line work). I like to knock this out ASAP as there are other things that I enjoy more than wood working. All this can be accomplished on a table saw if you know what you are doing. Now, some will probably scorn me for the name of the equipment I am about to discuss. You can purchase all three; Table Saw $114.00 with coupon. 10 inch sliding miter $99.00 with coupon,  and a router table (with router) about $99.00 with coupon, all less than 400 dollars at harbor freight.  I have made many boxes with this same set up and thousands of frames with these same tools. The ONLY problem that I have encountered is I finally burned the brushes up in the router, which I changed out in less than 5 minutes.  Yes these are cheap tools but have well proven their usefulness in my case. Wishing you the best in your bees 🐝
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 02:49:52 pm »
One other thing to consider if trying to make an assembly line type production is how much space to work in is involved and how much dirt it makes.
I do use table saw and radial arm saw for all.  I will say that I believe I could build with just a circular saw but it would be time consuming.  Throw in a router for frame rest would make it easier yet (Though I admit I have never used one).
It can be done with very minimum of tools but the nice tools add speed to the process.  I built mine from tree to hive with a home made band saw mill.  I built everything including frames and used good stuff but did not build assembly line style and it took me three winters to build about 20 hives.  Not fast huh?

I one time built a wind turbine with a circular saw with a metal cutting blade and a cheap harbor freight wire feed welder. 

Building one off with minimal tools can be done but must be considered hobby and not in a commercial sense due to the time involved.

So, it depends on your needs.  My need was something that was sorta productive that I half enjoyed and would cost no money to do with my time.  That way, and under those circumstances, I could do it forever or at least as long as my interest held.

Now I have honey every year and if I ever make a mistake and kill all my bees, I will only lose time and not money.   Were I needing and relying on income from the things I do, my way would be very wrong.   Since I am more concerned with not working at a job but not completely wasting my time and wanting the therapeutic value.  What I do works great for me. 

So assessing your needs and what you want to accomplish and what you have to work with towards that, is the key to happiness for each individual person and situation.

My wood working shed is 25x30 and is walking room only and has sawdust on the floor all the time cause there is not room to move stuff sideways and sweep under it.  Every two years or so I can drag everything out and clean for two days to catch up.  When I used the circular saw, I could work on the back patio and let the wind blow it away.  I love what I have now even being crowded but only mention this as one more thing to think about as far as having things and being able to use and store them.
Cheers
gww

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 03:31:30 pm »
I use tite- bond 2 or 3 on all boxes

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 04:23:35 pm »
You are right about the sawdust gww. The way I try and get around this is I also have a folding portable miter stand for my saw that I roll out to a convenient level concrete slab, I also have another like stand that I modified  for height that I have placed my table saw on. If I pick and choose, I can do my work outside and simply sweep up all sawdust afterward then blow off all equipment with a blower before taking all back into the shop. The radial arm saw is on a stand with casters also. The router table is light and portable making it easy to roll all down the sidewalk to the designated patio area.

Mikey  I also use tite bond on all joints, I even use a lite coat of it on the cut ends before I paint making the perfect water 💧 proof  (calk) so to speak.

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:04:06 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 05:35:57 pm »
Member, If you want to go ahead with your box building, considering the equipment I would deem necessary to make it easy on yourself, there are three things I would recommend but not required.  Now before I recommend these three, take into consideration their is more than one way to skim a cat lol.  I use a sliding miter saw for a precise length of each board and a perfect straight cut.  Both end and sideI board. I use a router table to cut out a perfect frame rest for the ends. I also use  the router table for the joint cuts In order to join my boxes together. A table saw for o perfect ripping the boards down to their proper depths.  For the recessed box handles, I use a radial arm saw. This set up is for my convenience and (assembly line work). I like to knock this out ASAP as there are other things that I enjoy more than wood working. All this can be accomplished on a table saw if you know what you are doing. Now, some will probably scorn me for the name of the equipment I am about to discuss. You can purchase all three; Table Saw $114.00 with coupon. 10 inch sliding miter $99.00 with coupon,  and a router table (with router) about $99.00 with coupon, all less than 400 dollars at harbor freight.  I have made many boxes with this same set up and thousands of frames with these same tools. The ONLY problem that I have encountered is I finally burned the brushes up in the router, which I changed out in less than 5 minutes.  Yes these are cheap tools but have well proven their usefulness in my case. Wishing you the best in your bees 🐝
Phillip
That is quite a reasonable price point.  (I really need to check out Harbor Freight, so many people have told me about good deals they got there.)  If this is indeed something I'm going to get into, a deal like that could make it affordable. 

One other thing to consider if trying to make an assembly line type production is how much space to work in is involved and how much dirt it makes.
I do use table saw and radial arm saw for all.  I will say that I believe I could build with just a circular saw but it would be time consuming.  Throw in a router for frame rest would make it easier yet (Though I admit I have never used one).
It can be done with very minimum of tools but the nice tools add speed to the process.  I built mine from tree to hive with a home made band saw mill.  I built everything including frames and used good stuff but did not build assembly line style and it took me three winters to build about 20 hives.  Not fast huh?

I one time built a wind turbine with a circular saw with a metal cutting blade and a cheap harbor freight wire feed welder. 

Building one off with minimal tools can be done but must be considered hobby and not in a commercial sense due to the time involved.

So, it depends on your needs.  My need was something that was sorta productive that I half enjoyed and would cost no money to do with my time.  That way, and under those circumstances, I could do it forever or at least as long as my interest held.

Now I have honey every year and if I ever make a mistake and kill all my bees, I will only lose time and not money.   Were I needing and relying on income from the things I do, my way would be very wrong.   Since I am more concerned with not working at a job but not completely wasting my time and wanting the therapeutic value.  What I do works great for me. 

So assessing your needs and what you want to accomplish and what you have to work with towards that, is the key to happiness for each individual person and situation.

My wood working shed is 25x30 and is walking room only and has sawdust on the floor all the time cause there is not room to move stuff sideways and sweep under it.  Every two years or so I can drag everything out and clean for two days to catch up.  When I used the circular saw, I could work on the back patio and let the wind blow it away.  I love what I have now even being crowded but only mention this as one more thing to think about as far as having things and being able to use and store them.
Cheers
gww
A lot of good points again, gww.  My ultimate goal as a beekeeper is to have about 10 hives, so my equipment needs aren't extreme in the long run, and I don't currently have anywhere to keep or use a large piece of equipment like a table saw or a radial saw.  If the other members of my family could get use out of it too, then maybe. . . but this whole thing is seeming like it's just out of my league, at least for now.  My big motivator in trying to build my own stuff was cost savings, not a desire to woodwork for fun.  Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds like a great thing to be able to do, rewarding and interesting and all that, but it's just not really my cup of tea.  The challenges it would present me, the time it would take, and the amount of wood I would probably ruin trying and failing until I got the hang of it, that would be worth it if I could save a lot of money in the long run.  But if that's not the case, it really might not be worth it to me.           
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 05:58:40 pm »
To save money making your own the price you pay for your timber is probably the biggest factor.
We buy packs of about 1000 lineal feet to get the best price, the flat pack makers buy better than us and so flat pack are quite often the best way to go.
If you are not a timber person then the cost of the equipment solely for bee boxes, plus retail cost of timber should be considered.
At $12 per pack is good value. That is about $18 Australian, friend had to buy a pellet of flat packs to get to $19.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 09:17:48 pm »
Honestly, I built my first hives using hand tools.  Saws cut much better when you know how to file them, chisels cut much better when you know how to sharpen them.  I have a step-father that went on about how I was wasting time using those poor tools, and he didn't possess the skill to cut a straight line using all his specialized equipment.

I watched him for half an hour trying to cut a piece of 2 x 4 the long way for some reason with a radial arm saw, asked him what he was trying to do, and he explained he was trying to take a little off to make room for a wire.  I took the wood, pulled out a chisel, and he looked amazed as I shaved the edge down so the wire would fit.

Member, if you look around, you will find old saws, planes, chisels, and squares.  You will need those just to start with anyway.  Look up sharpening systems; tools are safer and work much better when they're actually sharp enough to take hairs off your arm.  To start with, you could use a plate of glass and several grades of wet/dry paper.

Don't think these things are "safe" just because they're not powered.  I've cut myself more times than I can count, last year my cross-cut back saw jumped out of the groove and went right across my thumbnail.  It took months for the nail to grow back to shape.

Paul Sellers is a good guy for the beginning woodworker, he even shows how to make your own "poor man" tools.

https://paulsellers.com/

He even has a YouTube channel!  (For some reason I can't post a direct link, so this will have to do.)

https://www (dot) youtube (dot) com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:40:26 pm by CapnChkn »
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 10:53:38 pm »
For what it is worth you could build boxes with a circular saw, a good square, and a couple of clamps.  Although I would not recommend doing it that way.  I use a table saw for everything in making my boxes.  I don't cut recesses for handholds.  I cut cleats and screw them on the front and back. 

I have been using power saws to cut wood since I was about 8 years old.  I don't recommend starting woodworking as a hobby just to save a few dollars on boxes.  It is hard even for me to justify the little savings making my own equipment if I did not enjoy woodworking.  One of the things that got me interested in beekeeping was the building and design of the hive itself.

I would not want to discourage you but be safe and do only what you are comfortable with regarding the power tools.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 08:08:00 am »
I have a table saw I got used [on craigslist or FB marketplace] for 75, and new blades for 30. It came with a wobble blade but I'd like a dado.  It doesn't have any advanced safety features and it's dangerous!  I'm terrified of the blade and always used push sticks and stand to the side. They tell me, though, that it's just a matter of time, and I kindof believe them.  It beats the snot out of the cordless circular saw I was using though. and is probably less dangerous  :)

If I was going to build my own frames and boxes and everything, I'd be turrible tempted to build top bar hives. Not that the top bars don't have to be precise, but they only need one perfect piece, not four.  And the whole hive is only one box, so it only has to be "just right" once, not a bunch of times. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 10:18:00 am »
I'm terrified of the blade and always used push sticks and stand to the side.
Excellent idea to buy a new blade but I suggest you do not stand to the side.  Standing aside will more likely cause an accident especially if the stick contacts the blade.
First and foremost before using any saw the fence must be aligned to the groove in the table and then the blade to the fence.  Pinching occurs if they are not.  A sharp blade usually prevents pinching on the blade but a twisted grain of the wood you are cutting may make it unpreventable.  Avoid wood that is wet and squirrel grained.
Blade height: 1/8 to 1/4 above the thickness of the wood, no higher.
For narrow rips I use a block in the left hand and feed with the right hand.  The block will have a notch that is just a tad thicker then the wood I am cutting so the piece can not pick up off the table.  Then use a pusher stick to pass by the blade.  The stick will have a 90 degree notch that is 45 degrees to the stick so you can push and hold down at the same time.  It doesn't hurt to rub paraffin on the holding block so the work piece slides through nice.  Block is about the size of a 2x4 so you can get a good grip.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 06:08:14 pm »
Power tools are dangerous.

Please, think twice about doing this and if you do be very careful.

Please, if you do this wear eye protection.  Don't wear loose clothes that can get caught and pull you right in to blades and bits.

Remember, if you do this, measure twice, cut once.  Saves a lot of lumber and aggravation.

But again, think twice about making your own.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 06:29:33 pm »
I've been talking to my family about it, and I think the answer is no.  There's just too much stacked against it.  As I said before, my real motivation here was to save money, and if the savings isn't there, the motivation isn't either.  I like the idea of building my own equipment, but I don't think it's something I'm realistically able to do, at least at this point.  Thank you all so much for helping me figure this out.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I could not be anywhere near as successful as I've been in beekeeping if it wasn't for all the help you guys have given me.  Thanks both for your advice and for looking out for my safety, I really appreciate it.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 09:08:43 pm »
15th Member:
           Even though you have decided not to build your own hives, take a look at this website just for fun, and you will see what it entails.   https://www.michiganbees.org/beekeeping/in-the-beekeepers-workshop/
            You might consider buying pre-cut boxes from one of the on-line suppliers, (or local).  Then you can get some experience on putting them together without the expense or danger of the big saws.
             Or you could make your sister a cake and show her this website!!!  :wink:
jimmy

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:26 pm »
15th Member:
           Even though you have decided not to build your own hives, take a look at this website just for fun, and you will see what it entails.   https://www.michiganbees.org/beekeeping/in-the-beekeepers-workshop/
            You might consider buying pre-cut boxes from one of the on-line suppliers, (or local).  Then you can get some experience on putting them together without the expense or danger of the big saws.
             Or you could make your sister a cake and show her this website!!!  :wink:
Haha, I think it would probably take more than a cake.  :cheesy:  Also, I don't know how to bake either.  :wink: :cheesy:  Although I'm sure baking would be easier to learn than wookworking, and certainly less dangerous.  I do already purchase my equipment unassembled when I can.  One of my favorite jobs actually is frame assembly.  I have few enough hives that I just do them by hand, I don't have a jig or anything.  I don't get to do much with my hands often, and I find it enjoyable.  I like putting boxes together too, but they are a pain to square.             

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 04:21:11 am »
Member, if you just need a few hives, and you have the time, you could just use hand tools.  Making things from wood is no more complicated or difficult than learning the computer, or gardening.  All it takes is knowledge, concept, and practice.

I can't think of an easier job in building hives than making the hive bodies.  The joinery doesn't have to be box joints.  Cutting a rabbet is a basic skill.  I don't trust butt joints, because the boxes sit out in the weather, but glues we use today are often stronger than joinery.

Here "The English Woodworker" shows us how to cut rabbets (In Britain, Rebate) using nothing but a mallet and chisel.

https://youtu.be/PCX6RZGmiRE
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 08:45:01 am »
I don't trust butt joints, because the boxes sit out in the weather,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zrNbgwzfVhT1d9jG9
These are butt joints... no exposed grain to the weather.  The end grain is even pre painted.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 11:34:22 am »
Acebird, I find the wood moving in the humidity, even when I use plywood, and it seems to break the bond over time.  It could be because I use paraffin for weatherproofing, but I have been working to set long grain to long grain.

I would never have thought of the solution you show.  That certainly takes care of wicking!  Now for me, that's a lot *more* of little parts to swell, shrink, and wiggle loose!   :grin:

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 10:07:42 pm »
I've been talking to my family about it, and I think the answer is no.  There's just too much stacked against it.  As I said before, my real motivation here was to save money, and if the savings isn't there, the motivation isn't either.  I like the idea of building my own equipment, but I don't think it's something I'm realistically able to do, at least at this point.  Thank you all so much for helping me figure this out.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I could not be anywhere near as successful as I've been in beekeeping if it wasn't for all the help you guys have given me.  Thanks both for your advice and for looking out for my safety, I really appreciate it.   

Oh. 

Maybe you said it before that your real motivation was to save money, and I missed it.

But.

If you get in any catalog, and you piece out the parts of a hive, and you take into account how long it takes to make them or what sort of equipment you would need, etc.   The middle ground I have come to, is that I buy boxes (because I can't get lumber for that price and it would take me a whole day to cut those joints) and I buy frames (because no way on the green earth I can make that for a dollar).   But I can make both screen and solid bottom boards pretty easy, for way less money than they sell, inner covers are super easy, outer covers are super easy.  I can make nuc boxes out of plywood which is real cost/time effective (and can be done with a circular saw with some practice, or even a crosscut saw with some elbow grease and practice).

Which is to say don't give up entirely but maybe start on big-cost-for-little-effort pieces (outer covers and bottom boards) and work up as you gain skill and interest.  Or work up as you add this or that tool.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2020, 09:09:51 am »
Acebird, I find the wood moving in the humidity, even when I use plywood, and it seems to break the bond over time.
Plywood doesn't do well with moisture because the layers of the grain are at 90 deg.  Plywood is meant to be used in a moisture stable environment.
Everything is painted on my butt joints so caulking was used instead of glue.  The strength of the joint is attained by the long screws.  Although the butt joint is no where near the strength of a finger joint these boxes held up well.  Because of the oversize lumber and corner blocks I had to make an oversize tele cover.  That being said I tried to reserved these boxes for the bottom of the hive for overwintering in a cold region.  Not necessary anymore down hear in FL.
Bees are so forgiving that anybody can be a carpenter for beekeeping.  Just use simple construction that doesn't require the fancy tools.
What lowers the cost of making your own equipment is scrap lumber not the act of making your own.  That is what I did.  And what most people can do.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 02:21:19 pm »
Member, if you just need a few hives, and you have the time, you could just use hand tools.  Making things from wood is no more complicated or difficult than learning the computer, or gardening.  All it takes is knowledge, concept, and practice.

I can't think of an easier job in building hives than making the hive bodies.  The joinery doesn't have to be box joints.  Cutting a rabbet is a basic skill.  I don't trust butt joints, because the boxes sit out in the weather, but glues we use today are often stronger than joinery.

Here "The English Woodworker" shows us how to cut rabbets (In Britain, Rebate) using nothing but a mallet and chisel.
Amazing video.  It's good to remember how people built things way before power tools, and that they certainly aren't required for building.  Seems like something that would take a lot of practice to learn, but it's definitely interesting, and would be a very good skill to possess.  Whether it's worth the time to me remains to be seen. 

If you get in any catalog, and you piece out the parts of a hive, and you take into account how long it takes to make them or what sort of equipment you would need, etc.   The middle ground I have come to, is that I buy boxes (because I can't get lumber for that price and it would take me a whole day to cut those joints) and I buy frames (because no way on the green earth I can make that for a dollar).   But I can make both screen and solid bottom boards pretty easy, for way less money than they sell, inner covers are super easy, outer covers are super easy.  I can make nuc boxes out of plywood which is real cost/time effective (and can be done with a circular saw with some practice, or even a crosscut saw with some elbow grease and practice).

Which is to say don't give up entirely but maybe start on big-cost-for-little-effort pieces (outer covers and bottom boards) and work up as you gain skill and interest.  Or work up as you add this or that tool.

Good advice, and something like a migratory cover probably doesn't take much to make, especially since it doesn't even have to be square or anything. 

What lowers the cost of making your own equipment is scrap lumber not the act of making your own. 
This, I guess, is what it really boils down to.  Can I find lumber cheap enough to warrant the time and trouble involved?  And where would I find such lumber?