Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buckfast Bees came in today.  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Buckfast Bees came in today.
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »
 I ordered a package of Buckfast from R Weaver Apiaries back in Jan. They were shipped yesterday and arrived this morning   X:X.
 A big thumbs up to R Weaver Apiaries.  :th_thumbsupup:

I took them back to the hives and stood for a few minutes to figure how I wanted to do this. First I broke down my hive with Italians to swipe some empty deep frames. I grabbed 4 frames and replaced them with frames of capped honey from the other hive. (all the frames that were in the hive for the Buckfast had capped honey) I also swapped the feeder for two medium frames of honey. That hive was put back together and most of the bees went back to doing whatever they were doing.
 Working on the second hive, I put the 4 empty, drawn frames in the middle of the deep. Since the other 6 frames were full of honey, the box was packed tight. I put the first medium on (9 frames of honey in a 10 frame box) and hung the queen cage there.
 I put the second medium on (it had 7 frames of capped honey) and poured the package in. I was presently surprised how calm they were. I gave them about 10 minutes to crawl around and get somewhat out of the way then closed the frames and put the empty feeder in. (I forgot to bring a couple of frames with me) I set the package in front of the hive and used the cardboard top to make a ramp to the entrance.
 I'll go back out either tomorrow or the next day to release the queen and replace the feeder with frames.
 As of right now, the setup is 1 deep with 4 empty comb and 6 frames of honey and 2 mediums full of honey. The package came with no food but the bees seemed healthy with maybe a couple dozen dead in the package.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Buckfast Bees came in today.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:16 pm »
i still do not see the necessity for a third box on a package. Bee numbers will be decreasing until new brood hatches. The queen will only lay in what bees can cover. And some of the bees will be out foraging,so they won't be covering. If it's still cool at night I would have them in the deep and maybe the one honey packed super until the new brood starts outpacing the decline with old bees.
Perhaps you got a larger package than most?
Either way,good luck with the Buckfast. :)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »
Good Luck with the buckfast. I wanted to try some but the local survivor split had other opinions when i introduced my R Weaver buckfast queen....... needless to say they are rearing their own now. Let us know how it goes. I thought R Weaver had pickup only on packages........ G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:21:44 pm »
 I released the queen this morning. There most have been 3 dozen bees hanging on her cage. Even after I got most of them off and walked away with her, as soon as I stood still the cage and my hands were almost instantly covered with bees. I bet if I would have held still for more than a couple minutes, it would have looked like I was holding a swarm. They didn't seem to be acting aggressive.
 It took a couple minutes for me to work the cork out and I let her go into the deep. After I got the hive put back together, I went to grab the empty cage and it was full off bees.
Plenty of pollen was being brought in. It looks like a good start for them.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:16:20 am »
Good Luck, I hope so. Thats kinda how mine looked when I released her, Of course yours had been together longer. Usually after leaving a queen in the cage in the hive for a few days, I have only had several bees walking about the cage upon release. But I had the same experience, a mob. Just a different outcome I guess. Keep us posted. Good Luck with the Buckfasts. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »
I was surprised to find my Buckfast packages from RWvr arrive without any syrup in the cans. The downside of "delivered to your front door in 24"?  Installed in 1 medium with mostly drawn out frames, with top feeder. All are doing well, queens out 3 days after arrival.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:23:56 pm »
I was surprised to find my Buckfast packages from RWvr arrive without any syrup in the cans. The downside of "delivered to your front door in 24"?  Installed in 1 medium with mostly drawn out frames, with top feeder. All are doing well, queens out 3 days after arrival.
I was surprised as well. I released the queen last week. I'll be checking for brood next week.
They are keeping busy. A lot of pollen coming in.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:53:32 pm »
I've had tremendous luck with these packages. It will REALLY help if you can give them a frame of emerging brood at around 2 weeks. 'Not to worry, though, they've also done well enough without. I don't ever recall one that didn't take. Something about the Buckfast strain/queens that seems to carry them through.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:22 pm »
I've had tremendous luck with these packages. It will REALLY help if you can give them a frame of emerging brood at around 2 weeks. 'Not to worry, though, they've also done well enough without. I don't ever recall one that didn't take. Something about the Buckfast strain/queens that seems to carry them through.
I have a hive of Italians sitting next to them that came in a month ago. The queen was laying less than a week after her release so brood should be emerging now. I was hoping to check that hive today but the weather decided different. Only got around 60 and windy. Tomorrow is suppose to be in the 70s with no wind. Maybe I'll be able to see how they're doing and perhaps know if the hive could give up a frame of brood in 1 1/2 weeks.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »
'Sounds like a good plan.

I'm hoping my two strong overwintered hives don't swarm before I borrow brood. I added a 4th (med) super/BC on Sunday, just in case. 'Counted at least 25 frames of nice brood between the two 3 med BC 10 frame hives. One ended up so hot that I'm going to break it into donor brood and two new hives. What a shame - going into the 3rd year & still laying like a champ! Why are the mean ones always so good? ( I know - because they're mean..) 2 days later and I still can't go near the garden without a veil...

The occasional hot Buckfast queen is a pain, but I can rarely recall a rejected queen in almost 30 years. All packages have come through strong, using the brood boosting technique.

anything