Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mildew on wooden Stock  (Read 2876 times)

Offline ambishop

• New Bee
Mildew on wooden Stock
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:02:22 am »
Does anyone know a good method to get mildew from building up on wooden stocks.  I was thinking a standard wood oil, but really do not want things to get slippery.

thanks for the advice
Anthony

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Mildew on wooden Stock
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:08:29 pm »
Where do you store guns where the stock could get mildew?  (That was a rhetorical question.) I'd be more worried about rust if the storage place was that damp.

Birchwood Casey makes some good products, but boiled linseed oil rubbed on wooden stocks has always been my choice.  If it was good enough for the Wermacht and Uncle Sam, it's good enough for me.  Just use it sparingly and the stock should be protected without being slippery.

A friend uses a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax on wooden tool handles.  He'll scrape the paint off a new shovel or hoe handle, sand it smooth and rub that mixture into the wood.  Swears it's superior to anything a factory applies to a handle.  He may use it on the steel part, too.

Keep your powder dry and your guns, too.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Mildew on wooden Stock
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:28:42 am »
strip the varnish from the stock.

make a solution of 1 qt hot water, 3 Tablespoons of Oxy-clean (try to find the pure, unscented
free' variety)  1 teaspoon non-ammonia dishwasher detergent.  combine the ingredients in a clean spray bottle and shake to combine in emulsion.

Spray the emulsion onto the stock and allow to remain for 10 - 15 minutes.  Wipe off.  Repeat if necessary. 

When the stock is clean and dry,  re-seal the wood and apply your favorite wood finish.

Store your weapon in a cool, DRY environment.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything