Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone from Minnesota  (Read 1129 times)

Offline EastCentralMNbees

• New Bee
Anyone from Minnesota
« on: August 20, 2018, 04:30:30 pm »
It is my first year and I was wondering how the fall flow is in central Minnesota is. I have two medium supers and two deeps for each of my two hives. Both have one super the is finished being capped off and the other one they are starting to work on. They are also starting to back fill the brood nest. I was thinking of extracting the honey from the mediums because I only plan on leaving them with the two deep boxes for the winter. I would say both deep boxes weigh at least 80 pounds total. The bees are still bringing in pollen as well. I'm wondering if there is normally enough of a fall flow to build resources? I went through both hives looking to see if the queens will still working but I wasn't able to find any eggs in either would they stop laying all together as well? Thank for your help.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
Re: Anyone from Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »
I am not from Minnesota but since you have no replies I will give one. You answered the first part. They are making honey so flow is on. Sounds like it is good so far. Rain is big factor in flow. More flowers if it rains. The bees should be expanding now. Was there brood and larva?  Plenty of bees? Hope so. You do not want  brood chamber full of honey. They need space for several frames for brood.. You should consider testing /treating for mites if you have not. Good luck

Offline EastCentralMNbees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:03:50 pm »
There was brood and larva but no eggs in both. Both hives seem to have a lot of bees in three out of the four boxes. I was going to try going without treating the bees which I know stirs controversy from both sides. I have bought all new equipment from the suit to frames in the boxes. The only thing that was old was the five frames I received with my Nuc.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »
You could do a sugar shake and get a mite count.  Does not kill the bees. May as well known. I lost 70% of hives not treating but I  am in the south.  With honey coming in and plenty of honey in the hive it would be OK to harvest some. You earned it.  Good luck.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:55:39 pm »
delete

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:57:24 pm »
I am from west central Minnesota. Never had much luck with fall flow. I personally wouldn?t expect it to last much longer but every year will be different. Then again west central and east central Minnesota are different.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

anything