Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wet weather east coast  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Pet Bear

• New Bee
Wet weather east coast
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:03 am »
Gday men n women.
Was in my hives today for the first time in a month. With all the rain in the last 10 days or so should I be surprised that no eggs or larvae was seen. Seen capped brood and queen. So my question is dose the queen stop laying in very wet weather???   
Thanks for your time

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Wet weather east coast
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 08:51:51 am »
Are they in swarm mode?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:21 pm »
Are they in swarm mode?

Australia is going into fall, isn't it?  It would be like swarming in October here.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:27:47 pm »
That is not unheard of is it?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:16:37 pm »
Of course not, but the result is usually bad for both the parent hive and the swarm.  Just saying the bees should be less likely to be in swarm mode with winter approaching. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:19:36 pm »
Wet weather probably means no stores entering the hive, so the queen might stop laying for that reason.  Plus we don't know when they start preparing for winter there.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:27:46 pm »
I've seen my bees stop laying in the fall dearth [October, here].    It always freaks me out, but once I start feeding, they're fine. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:39 am »
Wet weather probably means no stores entering the hive, so the queen might stop laying for that reason.  Plus we don't know when they start preparing for winter there.
It is my understanding they don't have winter.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 12:54:30 pm »
I've seen my bees stop laying in the fall dearth [October, here].    It always freaks me out, but once I start feeding, they're fine. 
Your queen stopped laying to get ready for winter. Larvae require large amounts of honey and pollen. By feeding them you are stimulating egg laying. Do you still have enough pollen coming in to support the new larvae or are they having to use the stored pollen that they will need for their spring build up?

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »
Pet Bear,
What are your temperatures like, is it about to get cold, are there any flowers to feed the bees. Your queen should stop egg production for winter if she is a good queen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:34:53 am »
Yes during extreme weather events like you have had up your way lately, I've had queens stop during the event and then start again. Makes for an interesting brood pattern. We had an extremely full on hail storm on Christmas day about 6 years ago over the Melbourne area. The hail even knocked over a few of my hives. You tube Christmas day hail storm in Melbourne and you'll see why the queens stopped. It would have been noisy inside the hive.
That was at the peak of our summer and most of the hives survived. I had to move them as there was barely a leaf left on the trees much less a flower.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:21:54 pm »
It is my understanding they don't have winter.

Location, location where the OP is they don't have much of a winter, bit further south where I am we average 60 night below freezing and can still be getting snow in mid spring.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 05:28:12 pm »
Does that happen in March?  It is not just cooler temps it also has to do with dearth.  When does the nectar give out where you are?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
I've actually got the best flow I've had all season going at the moment, we had night temps below 30F a month ago.
When I inspected a week ago I could see a reduction in brood area in most of them, it was only a couple of 5 frame nucs started early Feb that were still increasing.
With the amount of rain some areas have had I would say they are in a dearth as it would have washed out anything in bloom.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 02:45:20 am »
220 - here too. No idea what is flowering. I checked all my hives in the last few days  and some are really full of honey - one started to build into the lid - a good sign.

No drones to be seen - swarming is done here.
We don't get a " winter"  like our southern parts can but we can get the odd frost in the valley. Winters are very mild here.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »
max2 - I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know what they are bringing in. Still a little ground cover flowering dandelion, late thistles etc but no massive bloom to be seen.  Have noticed the odd euc flowering could be it, everything east of my bees is native scrub for as far as they can fly so must be something out there flowering.
Interesting that the fruit harvest is running late around here this year, figs were all about 4 weeks behind normal and most of the apple varieties are 2 or more weeks later than usual.