Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary  (Read 3031 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:24:30 pm »
I have an electric honey spinning extractor. I have an apiary which I'm having some logistic issues with taking the frames back home to spin, so I'd like to try and extract my honey when out in my apiary.

Problem is I don't have an electrical source available to me out at the apiary. I'm wondering if there's a way I can take an electrical source out there with me. Would a generator work, or would that cost too much money for it to be worthwhile? Would solar panels be able to run an extractor? What about taking a bunch of batteries?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Otherwise, I'm thinking of spending hundreds to buy myself a manual spinning extractor. I might be able to pick up a two frame manual extractor for under $500. Seems like it'd take a long time to hand spin dozens of frames though.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 02:54:51 am »
What is the extractor you have now?  Assuming it is electric, what does the plate on the motor say?  It should list power, voltage, full load amps (fla), phase, frequency, those sort if things.

Going to assume you will be out there with a truck.  Depending on the size of the extractor, and those motor nameplate numbers, you could potentially power it from the truck electrical system.  There are ac/dc inverters that can convert the truck power (12vdc) to what the extractor requires.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:30:20 am »
I would use an inverter off your vehicle and make sure you don't drain the battery such that you can't start it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:24 am »
Let?s say your motor draws 5 amps, I doubt it is much more than that, and it uses 110 volts. That means it needs 550 watts of power. Start up current is 6 times running current. Since you always start out slow and then build up speed, 1000 watts should be all it needs to start up. A small generator that can handle 1500 watts or more should be all you need.
You can also use a 1500 watt inverter, as mentioned, connected to your truck battery. Be sure to use at least an AWG-6 wire to connect it up. Be sure to run the truck motor while you are using it or you will have a dead battery in the middle of nowhere.
If it uses 220 volts, the current will be half. The 12 volt current will still be up around 50 amps.
I will check on what my motor draws and let you know.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:19:12 am »
I just just checked, my motor draws 1.9 amps. Less than 250 watts. I would at least get a 1000 watt generator or inverter. I think that once you have it you will use it for a lot of other things while in the Bush.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 05:49:30 pm »
This is the electrical plate on my extractor:

https://imgur.com/a/F81O384

I have a non-commercial van. I didn't know that I might be able to use my car to power it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:38:29 pm »
Not sure what you mean by non commercial van.
A van would work real well because you can install the inverter inside the van and wire it to the battery. Your motor uses just a little more power, 2.2 amps when used with a 120 volt plug. As I said before,  I would use a 1000 watt inverter with awg-8 wire. This will easily handle the motor, a few lights and still have power to spare.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 09:58:19 am »
The inverter will work the best if it is one foot away from the battery.  The length of the AC cable is not as critical but I wouldn't go over 15 ft.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 12:27:37 pm »
This is the electrical plate on my extractor:

https://imgur.com/a/F81O384

I have a non-commercial van. I didn't know that I might be able to use my car to power it.

The picture reveals what is basically a 250 watt gear motor.  (110V x 2.2A).  I am going to assume it also has a speed control on it. 
Therefore 300 watt inverter would be sufficient to run your extractor. 250 x 1.5 = 360 ... A 375 to 400 watt unit would be the better choice. 

The inverter converts car DC power (12v) to AC (110/50) power. Connect the inverter to the van battery with booster cables.  Start the van, keep the engine running.   Turn off all the car lights, fans, air conditioner, etc.  So nothing else is drawing power from the car electrical system.  Plug the extractor into the inverter.  Start it up, do your thing.

Select an inverter that is
375 - 400 watts capacity
12 VDC  to 110V, 50Hz, AC

Or find a mini gas powered electric generator, 500 To 1000 watt are common.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:38:16 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 07:51:23 am »
My honeyhouse doesn't have land line power, so i use a solar setup, with 2 nice batteries and a 1.5 kWh generator. The generator itself is enough to power everything and uses about 3L of petrol per 2 hours.l
If you are extracting out in the field, i would take a 100 AH battery and hook it up to the truck. Charge it while driving and use an inverter for powering your extraction gear.
Connect the two batteries by using a switch, so that you don't drain the truck battery and take a generator with you, in case you don't have enough power in the battery.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 08:11:25 am »
If you are going to take a generator why screw around with battery power?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 10:46:52 am »
Double source of power makes for a backup. Also your car will generate the power anyway, even if not needed, why not use that free power?
I personnally so it cause if the neighbors, don't want to annoy them and also i hate the sounds of engines just running all day. But yes it's right just a generator would be possible.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
Also your car will generate the power anyway, even if not needed, why not use that free power?

Free???  No such thing as free.  The least running cost option would be a generator of the proper size for the power that you need.  The least amount of work would be to use an inverter powered off the battery of the van.
To me the bigger question is where do you get a running water supply let alone heating it?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything