Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lesgold?s Road Trip  (Read 17354 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Lesgold?s Road Trip
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2023, 01:11:27 am »
Do you have alligators or crocodiles?
NC has alligators in the coastal plain, although we are on the northern edge of their range, so they don't get as large here as in other places.  Apparently they grow slower when it's cold.  Thankfully we are too far inland and upland to see them where I live.  :cool:

As far as I know we only have crocodiles in the Everglades.
I was under the impression that the Everglades contains both American crocodiles and American alligators, along with spectacled caiman.  The American alligator is one of FL's state reptiles. 

Not sure about the Swamps in Louisiana but I never hear anyone talking about them being there.
The range map I found from the USGS places them in LA too.  Wikipedia says that LA has the largest population of alligators in the US.  Gators are their state reptile too.  :happy:   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2023, 06:08:29 am »
We are having a few lazy days in Katherine as some wild weather passes through to the south of us. We went for a swim in a thermal pool yesterday. Water bubbles up though a Rocky outcrop and flows down towards the Katherine river. The water is an incredible blue in colour and I reckon it was close to 30 degrees C. It was very relaxing spending time swimming with locals and tourists in this unusual natural feature.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2023, 06:52:23 am »
Thanks Reagan,
Quote from: BeeMaster2 on June 30, 2023, 08:44:49 pm
Not sure about the Swamps in Louisiana but I never hear anyone talking about them being there.
The range map I found from the USGS places them in LA too.  Wikipedia says that LA has the largest population of alligators in the US.  Gators are their state reptile too.  :happy:

Here I was referring to crocodiles.
Louisiana swamps are famous for their large alligators but t I don?t think they have crocodiles.
I just looked it up, the Everglades is the only place in the US where crocodiles live.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2023, 08:25:15 am »
Aren?t Crocs are more aggressive toward humans than alligators?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2023, 08:28:33 am »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2023, 04:39:22 pm »
We are having a few lazy days in Katherine as some wild weather passes through to the south of us. We went for a swim in a thermal pool yesterday. Water bubbles up though a Rocky outcrop and flows down towards the Katherine river. The water is an incredible blue in colour and I reckon it was close to 30 degrees C. It was very relaxing spending time swimming with locals and tourists in this unusual natural feature.
Oh I bet that was neat!  Such beautiful water!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2023, 08:13:30 pm »
Aren?t Crocs are more aggressive toward humans than alligators?

For sure. Alligators are not a threat to humans till they are 8 foot long or larger and even then for the most part they don?t mess with people. For the most part, alligators eat what they can swallow. Crocs are used to having to tear their food apart.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2023, 01:44:10 pm »
There was a 13 foot alligator in the lake where my cousin lives in Panama City Fl. The Florida game people had to get rid of it.. Thats a big one... How big do they get?  Les do yall have alligators in Australia as well as crocs?

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2023, 02:24:38 pm »
There was a 13 foot alligator in the lake where my cousin lives in Panama City Fl. The Florida game people had to get rid of it.. Thats a big one... How big do they get? 
13 ft. for males is the maximum recorded in my state, 9 ft. for females, although it takes them a long time to reach that size.  Crocodiles and alligators continue to grow throughout their lives (although their growth rates slow down once they get older).  Their lifespan in captivity is about the same as a human's, and in the wild they can live 30-50 years.   

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2023, 06:59:59 pm »
Hi Phillip,

No alligators is Aus. We have fresh water crocs that have been recorded up to about 3.5m in length and salt water crocs (which are the problem beasts) growing to about 7m and a 1000kg. They are the ones that give a reasonable love bite and tend to treat humans as a potential meal.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2023, 01:44:32 am »
Time to hit the road again. Travelling south again for about 700km before heading east into Queensland. We stopped after 100km to look at a thermal spring which n a small town called Mataranka. The vegetation around the springs was tropical in appearance and looked totally different to the surrounding countryside.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2023, 01:48:20 am »
As you would expect, the water was warm and inviting so we had to jump in for a swim.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2023, 11:26:01 am »
As you would expect, the water was warm and inviting so we had to jump in for a swim.
Since the water was warm and inviting and not full of crocs.  :wink: :cheesy:  Sorry, we're getting a little fixated on the crocs.  Carry on!

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2023, 06:58:17 pm »
Ha Ha. Sounds a bit like that Reagan. Crocs are a concern but if you respect them and stay in safe areas, they shouldn?t be a problem. There have been people taken by them but it?s generally because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is a much greater chance of having a traffic accident than a bad encounter with one of those critters. On this trip we have been held up twice by incidents on the road. Once for a car and caravan that turned over and once for a light aircraft that had crashed on the road a couple of minutes before we arrived. We had an interesting stop for a break yesterday. We drove to an abandoned WW 2 airstrip which was located in an isolated spot. It is a popular stop for people on the road. The strip was in top condition considering it?s age.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2023, 10:56:36 pm »
Well I tried to let the crocodilian thing go, but then I saw this on the local news this morning.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/69-year-woman-dies-alligator-attack-beaufort-south-carolina/story?id=100662549

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2023, 12:45:56 am »
That?s sad to hear Reagan. Incidents like this do happen from time to time.

We dropped into a small mining town called Tennant Creek and had a look around the old telegraph station. The telegraph line which ran from Adelaide to Darwin (a distance of over 3600km) was built in two years and came into operation in 1872. An undersea cable was also constructed which allowed for communication between Australia and England to occur. A telegraph composed in Adelaide would take 7 hours to make it to England. Pretty amazing stuff for 150 years ago. Here are a few shots of the main house, the telegraph room and an underground cellar to store food. It was surprisingly cold at the bottom of the cellar. The old timers were very clever in the way that buildings were constructed.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2023, 08:38:35 pm »
Hi Folks

We?ve been offline for a few days camping at a dam that used to supply water for a uranium mine. The dam was a great camp where we met some friendly likeminded people who just enjoy the outdoors. We made a visit to he abandoned mine and spent most of our days walking or sitting around a camp fire chatting. It was a really enjoyable time.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2023, 07:14:38 pm »
We are in central Queensland at the moment and are currently following a dinosaur trail. We are driving through hundreds of kilometres of flat country that used to be an inland sea many millions of years ago. The area is rich with fossilised remains of plants and animals that lived in the area during that time. We have visited a couple of museums where dinosaur fossils are displayed. Below is a couple of photos of the larger ones. There is just so much to look at. Tomorrow we will drive to an area where dinosaur foot prints will be visible in the mudstone.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2023, 07:45:10 pm »
We are in central Queensland at the moment and are currently following a dinosaur trail. We are driving through hundreds of kilometres of flat country that used to be an inland sea many millions of years ago. The area is rich with fossilised remains of plants and animals that lived in the area during that time. We have visited a couple of museums where dinosaur fossils are displayed. Below is a couple of photos of the larger ones. There is just so much to look at. Tomorrow we will drive to an area where dinosaur foot prints will be visible in the mudstone.

So cool!  I wish we had a natural history museum closer to where I live.  I love looking at stuff like that!

We are driving through hundreds of kilometres of flat country
I've been in the mountains too long, that flat land makes me nervous!  :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2023, 11:21:50 pm »
Thanks Les.

Reagan their Natural History Museum in North West Tennessee that is nice. No doubt there are others closer to you than that.

anything