Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey sale/cost  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Terry N

• New Bee
Honey sale/cost
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:21:55 pm »
If I sell honey, what would it be worth..average cost.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Honey sale/cost
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:36:09 pm »
If I sell honey, what would it be worth..average cost.

I sell it for $6.50 per pint.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:09:55 pm »
It all depends on location, market, and marketing.

My market is primarily single-wage earner big families paying christian school tuition, and mostly word of mouth.  I'm not a salesman, and at $6.50/pint I'd sell about 5 pints.  I don't need the extra money, and would rather help other families like mine use more honey, so I stick with that market.

But get into a higher market in a good location, and dress up that honey with fancy bottles, and you can charge a lot more.

Go to the local healthfood store or supermarket and find out what the average price is.  Then figure out if you have anything special or something looking special.  Then decide what your market can hold.
Rick

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:58:17 pm »
I sold 180 lbs at 6.00 a pint and 11.50 per quart and I sold it all (wasnt really that much) in less than a week. Was even told I was too cheap and given a tip or two. Go figure. Ive given away some of it to family, friends, 911 dispatchers that call me with swarm calls etc. Sure, Im in it as a hobby right now, but actively pursuing sideliner status then hopefully one day commercial. Look out Redbee!!!! My 16 hives are gonna put a whoopin on your 3000 :)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:38:58 pm »
Mine goes for $5.00 per lb. and I can't keep it in stock.  I have orders already for next spring's harvest.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »
One of the producers local to me has cornered the co-op...sells at $12/quart to refill jars from a dispenser.  Another has sewn up the closest farmers market...sells at $10/half-pint for raw what-have-you!!

It really depends on what your market will bear and how much you can do to distinguish yourself from the cheap Walmart sludge.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline msully

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 04:07:55 pm »
I'm getting $5 for a 12 oz bear and $15 for a Quart.  No problem selling them at this price!

Mike
"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett

Offline Bsweet

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »
Last year I sold my honey for $7. for a half pint and sold out fast. This year I raised the price to $8. a half pint, $16. per pint and Qts for $25. sold 200 lbs in three days. Had about 12 customers disagree with the price,1 said the price was a little high for a pint but came back the next day and bought 6 more for gifts and 2 Qts for himself, the others said I should charge more and they would pay . Nearlly all want honey when I get somemore.
I thought my prices were high but when you sellout fast it kinda makes you think. After all it takes 2-3 months to make that honey why sell out in 2-3 days. I tell complainers "you get what you pay for" you want honey for $4 a pound go to wal mart, you want American raw honey buy from a beekeeper. Jim
If your body hurts when you wake up,go ahead and make coffee cuz you ain't dead

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »
I am like a crack cocaine dealer. I give lots of honey away and when they get hooked I sell them more @ $6.00 per pound, $8.00 per pint, and $12.00 for 2lb. I have lots of regular customers.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »
I sold 180 lbs at 6.00 a pint and 11.50 per quart and I sold it all (wasnt really that much) in less than a week. Was even told I was too cheap and given a tip or two. Go figure. Ive given away some of it to family, friends, 911 dispatchers that call me with swarm calls etc. Sure, Im in it as a hobby right now, but actively pursuing sideliner status then hopefully one day commercial. Look out Redbee!!!! My 16 hives are gonna put a whoopin on your 3000 :)

You are too cheap. :roll: I sell it for $6 per pound, $8 per pint, $16 per qt. and gave away some also. Just word of mouth.
I think it is worth at least that for the cost and work that goes into it.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:04:49 am »
I think it is worth at least that for the cost and work that goes into it.
$25 a Pound  :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:21:01 am »
Sale: I sell out at $6.00 a pound.
Cost: A lot for equipment, time, and nagging from the wife!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 10:51:56 am »
Can we add to this thread just how much everyone is selling a year for 6.00 or ever the 6.00 per pint that comes to 4.00 per pound.  I produce a couple of tons a year and the largest container I sell is 6 gallon pails.  If I only produced say 60 lbs a year I think I could easily find enough people to buy at that price.  Finding a few 1000 customers that will buy at that price would be impossible
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:26:38 pm by danno »

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »
I sell my 1.5# skeps for $10.  I'm targeting the folks that really want to concentrate on buying honey as local as they can get it.  I could probably charge more, but I'm competing with the big supplier in the area.  He charges $5 a pound, but his honey isn't from local sources.  There's room in the market for both of us, especially with him gathering enough honey to have flavors, and I don't.

AND, it's not my goal to get as much as I can, but to provide a local product, at a reasonable cost, to folks that are trying to be local consumers.  It's nice to make a small profit on the product itself, but ya' know it's not covering all the costs! :)

I have 6 gallons (8 skeps/gallon) to sell this year and I've sold over half so far.

anything