Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mystery Queen  (Read 814 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Mystery Queen
« on: May 23, 2020, 02:28:46 am »
I make a habit of strolling through my home bee yard at least once a day. A few days ago I noticed a small ball of bees at the front entrance of one of my hives. I considered this unusual. Not being able to resist, with my finger I attempted separating this small ball. What I found was a short abdomen, unmarked queen in the middle. Whether or not she was mated I do not know. I do not think she was mated Because of her slender abdomen. There was no doubt these workers were attempting to kill her. There was a stinger hanging out of her thorax area. I placed her in a queen clip but she did not live very long. I had just went through this entire hive less than a week prior. There was a marked green queen according to my notes. I found NO queen cell, Supersedure, swarm, or otherwise. This is still a mystery to me.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Mystery Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:54:58 am »
That virgin queen may have returned to the wrong hive. This happens a lot. Queen breeders have reported finding numbered queens in a different Nuc box than they were placed in.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Mystery Queen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:22 am »
That is probably it Jim. Thanks
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.