Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Questions on waxing starter strips.  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
Questions on waxing starter strips.
« on: April 21, 2006, 05:52:49 pm »
Do I have to use bees wax for starter strips or can I just use parrafin wax? If I should use bees wax then who sells it in small amounts, say enough for 50 frames? I found it through Dadant but you have to buy  it in large quanities. How many pounds will it take to secure 50 frames? Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:01:01 pm »
>Do I have to use bees wax for starter strips or can I just use parrafin wax?

Bees do not like parafin.  And if you use parafin then your beeswax is contaminated (as in not pure beeswax).

>If I should use bees wax then who sells it in small amounts, say enough for 50 frames? I found it through Dadant but you have to buy it in large quanities. How many pounds will it take to secure 50 frames?

One method is just buy foundation and cut strips out of that.  Fatbeeman on beesource has clean (as in no chemicals) beeswax and will probably sell you a small amount.  Another method is jsut cut the strips out of wood. Some people use popscicle sticks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:04:04 pm »
I bought foundation and cut strips out of that MB, I was reffering to the part of using a wax tube and melting wax to secure the starter strip to the frame. Sorry I should have been a little more clear. I have cut the starter strips with a pizza cutter and have installed them into the wedged frames, I pressed the wedge up tight and shot 3 nails in it with a brad nailer and it feels very secure, but I have been reading latly where other people have done the same and had problems with it coming loose from the wedge. I was going to order a wax tube tomorrow and try to find some wax to go ahead and secure the as best as I can, my bees will be here in 9 days and I feel like a 5 year old with Santa a week away :lol: .

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:06:50 am »
I wouldn't worry about it.  You are only using starter strips that are much lighter than a full sheet of foundation.  It only has to hold long enough for the bees to start drawing comb, and they will attach it to the top bar.  If you want to play it a little safer,  put your wedge nails in horizontal (thru wedge, foundation, an into top bar) instead of vertical.  This puts a better pinch on the strip.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 12:49:35 pm »
It probably doesn't matter that much what you wax it in with, except I try never to have anything that would end up later in my wax that isn't beeswax.

A beeswax candle would work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin