Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in fall  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Bees in fall
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:27 am »
AFB like the common cold is everywhere in the world that bees are.  The bacteria cannot live outside of the bee so the only way it could have spread so far is for the spores to be carried there.  Drones visit hives that are not their own.  Worker bees visit flowers and then workers from another hive will visit the same flower.  The spreading of spores is guaranteed.
Even if you were to burn every hive in an apiary with only one case of AFB there would still be spores in the area.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 06:05:59 pm »
AFB like the common cold is everywhere in the world that bees are.  The bacteria cannot live outside of the bee so the only way it could have spread so far is for the spores to be carried there.  Drones visit hives that are not their own.  Worker bees visit flowers and then workers from another hive will visit the same flower.  The spreading of spores is guaranteed.
Even if you were to burn every hive in an apiary with only one case of AFB there would
still be spores in the area.

Soooo.. drone technology will lead us (royal) into the '30s
where b'keeps will be console operators tasked with collecting
"food of the g0ds" for processing in communal digestors
producing 'honey'.
Right...got it! :laffs:

Bill

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:11 pm »
Here are some photos of my hive after my inspection this morning.

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:16 pm »

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:37 pm »

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:08 pm »

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 10:31:21 pm »

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 10:42:03 pm »
Bees have all most built out all the frames. There is also of honey and pollen in the hive. And bees seem to be bringing in a lot of pollen on there legs. But still not happy with the brood pattern it seems the old frames that I got with the bees with seem to have very patchy brood. While the new frames I put in have a more uniform pattern. I couldn't find the queen but there were lots of eggs in the bottom of cells and I saw her last week so I'll just pressure she's there. I did still spot a few chalkbrood mummies but much less. And I don't know if it's pollen or sucbrood in some of the cells. Can you guys see anything

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 10:44:50 pm »

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 01:18:52 am »

Going from the background witness this is a single deep broodchamber, correct BL?
Sooo.. those frames carrying a solid central brood pattern with capped honey
over move to the positions #4 through #8  - #8 being the warm side.
The spotty frames... sort by order of scarcity (most capped to less) and place from
#3 through #1  - and mark them so in the runup to spring you know which to move
up into a super.
The most empty (very little capped anything) place in position #9. Mark it also.
The bees may move capped honey from the core to the extremes to make room for
brood IF the foraging keeps up. Where you do not see that happening in the
inspection next weekend  - to see they are simply filling those outside frames with
nectar - then they are on the path to survival mode for Winter... leave them to do
just that. Cheerio.

Bill

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 01:31:04 am »
You said that you couldn't find the queen.  4 posts above this one.  Top picture.  Center of the frame vertically, about 1/4 from the left side. 

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 02:11:01 am »
Yes it's a single deep brood chamber. Ok will do and see how they go, should I give them sugar water or just keep leaving it like I have for abit. Also yes I can see the queen, I missed her during the inspection my eye isn't that good yet haha. Probably to late now, but in spring should I aim to get rid of those old 5 frames that I got with my nuke.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 03:52:35 am »
Yes it's a single deep brood chamber. Ok will do and see how they go, should I give them sugar
water or just keep leaving it like I have for abit. Also yes I can see the queen, I missed her
during the inspection my eye isn't that good yet haha. Probably to late now, but in spring should
I aim to get rid of those old 5 frames that I got with my nuke.
I myself would not be feeding BL...entirely down to you that one.
Tho' I'd advise waiting till next inspection (weekend next) before
making any decision on that score.
Let's wait till Spring to see how those frames are utilised by the bees, hey?
They will be marked so if they prove duds then tbey can be swapped out
for refurbish. Meantime washout the nuc with bleach and leave it in the
sun a few days to then put in storage. Cheerio.

Bill

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 05:03:15 am »
The queen is on post 24 , about in the middle on the left - about 10 cm in from the left edge.

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 07:08:33 am »
Thanks Bill will do. Yes I see her.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 08:49:32 pm »
To avoid the high moisture condition during the winter time they must cap the sugar water before winter sets in.  You can feed them 2:1 for a
thicker syrup concentration.  Or you can give them sugar bricks all winter long in a mild winter area much like us here.   Don't give too much that they will
plug up the cells that the queen cannot lay for the winter bees.  Winter bees are important to the hive health or whether or not they can overwinter.  Good luck!

Offline JimW

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 12:39:58 am »
Hi there,

I had chalkbrood problems in Sydney previously. I got rid of it by chocking up the hive using old fence pailings so there was a reasonable slant toward the front of the hive to allow the moisture to run out. Gave the base board a good clean to get rid of the mummies.

Another tip was to chuck a banana peel on top of the frames, as this apparently encourages them to clean the hive. Not sure if this actually works but I tried it anyway.

Hope this helps
Jim

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 11:52:29 pm »
Did a inspection and moved some frames around. Seems a lot of bees in the box, almost 8 frames filled with bees and bees still out foraging. Noticed two hive bettles, but have two traps in there, so nothing else I can do. I did however notice these tiny bugs on the base of the hive, under the bettle trap. Does any know what they might be. Could it be white ants or something. There also seems to be alot of this black and brown particles around the entrance and in the bottom board.  Also still don't like the look of this black looking mould on the front frame panel.