Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hogs and bees  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
Hogs and bees
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:41:36 am »
Our neighborhood now has a group of feral hogs. They really tore my neighbors yard up Friday night.  I strapped all my hives yesterday. Has anyone had a problem with hogs attacking their hives?
                           Thanks Sputnik

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hogs and bees
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:29:18 am »
We built this trap and caught 7 of them. They didn't do any more damage in our freezer.  :wink:

The rest of them left the area and never came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxcovczj5O8
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »
We built this trap and caught 7 of them. They didn't do any more damage in our freezer.  :wink:

The rest of them left the area and never came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxcovczj5O8
Best response ever

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 01:26:52 pm »
I like it. I'm trying to scrounge up some utility panels.
                      Thanks. Sputnik

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 02:52:01 pm »
They are also called goat panels.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 03:11:26 pm »
I had a rather long epistle about hogs and I had to leave and when I got back I had lost it.  So this is short but well founded by experience.  Hogs do not bother beehives. use Big traps so you do not educate those not caught\.  My grand son killed one yesterday about 5:30 PM  about 150 yds from five hives.  I have lots of hogs never a problem with my hives.  Yes I know there are others that have other experiences and opinions.  Let me say that I am an avid hog advocate, I advocate that every one of these critters be used in sausage.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:21 pm »
I had a rather long epistle about hogs and I had to leave and when I got back I had lost it.  So this is short but well founded by experience.  Hogs do not bother beehives. use Big traps so you do not educate those not caught\.  My grand son killed one yesterday about 5:30 PM  about 150 yds from five hives.  I have lots of hogs never a problem with my hives.  Yes I know there are others that have other experiences and opinions.  Let me say that I am an avid hog advocate, I advocate that every one of these critters be used in sausage.

Sounds good but don't leave out the Sugar cured ham and bacon. Some here seem to think that wild hogs will do, for this also...  Yum!
 Iddee, good post with the catch pen.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.