Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: moving hive to new hive stand  (Read 1051 times)

Offline retsofmit

• New Bee
moving hive to new hive stand
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:19:07 pm »
I am going to redo my hive stand to make it a bit more stable.  The hive will be in the same place maybe slightly lower.  I will need to move the hive to take apart the stand and rebuild it.  It won't take long to do.  Should I do something like that at night or this winter when the bees are not as active?  My hive is only one deep box with a medium super on top, so I don't have much to break down to move the hive to the side and replace the stand and then put everything back.  I am in Central TX so we have mild winters here....not too worried about chilled brood.  Just want to know what will be easier on me by not making the bees too mad jostling them around more than usual?

Thanks!

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: moving hive to new hive stand
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:26:01 pm »
Shouldn?t be any different than a hive inspection really. It might take a little longer, or not. They should just hover around until your done. I rather do mine now over cool days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 09:51:28 pm »
Do you have room beside the hive?  I would strap the hive together and just move it to the side.  Set it on some blocks or some other temporary stand until you fix your original stand.  Then replace the hive when you are done.  If it is too heavy to move yourself then find a willing helper.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 11:37:38 pm »
You can certainly place the hive aside nearby.  Try not to go far, and most especially important do not change the orientation of the entrance relative N-E-S-W.  Put it wherever you need to temporarily, ensuring the entrance faces the same way.  The bees will find it and work away at the new spot while you work away at the old spot.  I would suggest you make the move 2 days before you want to work on the old spot.  Else you will have a lot of bees hovering around you the whole time.

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 08:34:32 am »
Retso,
Are you rebuilding the old stand or replacing it with a new one?
If you?re are replacing it I would do as Cao said. If you are going to modify the old stand then do as THP.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 08:58:51 am »
I had to rearange several of mine a few weeks ago and was unable to find cao's "willing helper", I had to disassemble and do it a box at a time. Lots of bees in the air, but all was settled down an hour later.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

anything